Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bat840 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Attic Floor Joists
    Wondering if anyone knows what is recommended for floor joists when developing an attic? My existing ceiling rafter is 2x6 so I will need to sister another joist in, what size... 2x10??
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 07:51 PM
    It all depends on the span of the joist.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 08:37 AM
    2x10 is now the recommended size of a new roof rafter, floor joists are 2x12 but span does play a part.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spongy floor joists causing sagging floor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. In front of my fireplace there is a small tiled area. This is surrounded by hardwood which runs throughout the living room. The floor on the sides of the tile has dropped slightly below the level of the tile (about 1/8" or so). The wood floor around the tiles is also a bit spongy when...

Floor Joists [ 1 Answers ]

Hi folks, hopefully someone has a very easy answer to this... We are about to remove 2 chimney breasts that are situated on the side of our house - they make for odd shaped rooms and as we've halved our space with a recent downsize, along with damp coming through, it seems like the easiest option....

Holes in floor joists [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, We are adding a new addition to our current home. The plumber is putting in the plumbing and he has hacked away about 4 inches from our new floor joices. We are now concerned about the structure and the integrity of that. Its for a new bathroom with a toilet and a biddet and all floor tile....

Proper underlayment for vinyl floor starting at floor joists [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper way to build up a floor to prepare for vinyl flooring? I'm building a mud-room in the garage attached to the house, 5' by 13' . Presently I have the joists installed and am ready for subfloor. I am planning to use 3/4" T&G UDL plywood, glued to joists with construction...

Drilling floor joists [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a central vac center as an installer and my boss says it is OK to drill 2 1/4 in holes in joists vertically and horizontally. He also tells me to drill in any board, laminated, tji, beams, anything. Is there codes for this?

View more questions Search