Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chevtri Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Outdoor wood/coal burners
    Do you have any opinions on outdoor wood/caol burners... are they worth the money that is initially required . What would be a good brand name that would be worth pursuing if I decided to acquire one. Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 04:15 PM
    If you get free wood or coal they are not a bad deal. But your money would be better spent on a new high efficiency equipment. Now wood to mess with and more even heat.
    SmooFish Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2010, 01:58 PM
    I have spent many septembers and Octobers frantically gathering my fuel for the winter though considered free it's really not cutting bucking splitting firewood a lot of work and where I lived all I had to do was drive my truck down the beach and gather the coal deposited there sounds fun eh? Not! Perhaps the first five minutes believe me wood and coal very dirty and loads of work even if fuel source free you still have to do the gathering storing and burning all not hassle free. I have learned that it is always a very good idea to have two or more ways to heat your house in the dead of winter and never rely on just one. I purchased a stoker stove made by an Alaskan stove company and I could fit almost a cord of wood inside that furnace and it would burn for weeks on end between loads of wood always delivering heat like any other forced air furnace. I also would agree most homes be best off to rely on one of the newer, efficient, relatively inexpensive heaters on the market these days and then I would explore the wood and Coal stoves as secondary heat source

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone know Clayton wood/coal stoves [ 6 Answers ]

The house that I have been in for the past 12 years has a Clayton wood/coal stove in the basement. The tag on the back says; Jones Metal Products, Mankato, Minnesota. Model 7.1V and 5.6V and was tested in 1983. Does anyone know if there is a way to get an operating manual and if you can still...

Second thermostat for outdoor wood furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I need help. I have a gas Amana furnace that I have hooked to one thermostat (4 wires) and then a second thermostat (2 wires) hooked for only the fan to come on with use of my outdoor wood furnace. When the 2 wire thermostat call for the fan to come on, the outside compressor will come on. It...

Outdoor Wood Furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have several questions regarding an outdoor wood furnace. I know there is a "special" paint used on these, that is "normal" to throw off a smell. As well as some "light oils" used in construction. We are having the problem that the house is getting smokey, and that smell is strong. How long...

Outdoor Wood Furnace Second Thermostat Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed an Outdoor Wood Furnace and need help with wiring the thermostat. My indoor furnace is a Trane Gas Furnaceand A/C. I am trying to wire a second thermostat to the blower on the gas furnace so I can just run the blower. The Trane thermostat wires are W,R, Y, and G. I installed a...

View more questions Search