Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SECURE273 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 10:06 PM
    Cast iron sewer line problems
    I an trying to remove a broken 4 inch cast iron pipe from a 4 inch hub it looks soldered
    I was going to heat it with a torch and attempt to twist it out any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I cause myself more problems
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SECURE273
    I an trying to remove a broken 4 inch cast iron pipe from a 4 inch hub it looks soldered
    I was going to heat it with a torch and attempt to twist it out any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before i cause myself more problems
    Secure273 - THE cast iron pipe is not soddered in the way you think. It has melted lead in around the pipe & right under it is some stuf that looks like a piece of rope . I have melted the lead using a propane torch but it takes awhile this way . ( now you can use a torch ,{ BUT GET SOME PROTECTION ON <SAFTY GLASSES >LONG SLEEVE SHIRT < LONG PANTS< HAT< } NOW LETS get started, I always used a common screw driver the width of the lead across, to helop to get the lead out as it got soft ( OH I FORGOT TO SAY GLOVES _ LEATHER ) IF its still kind of soft it probably won't get splattered on you , that way it takes a little while but a little safer, don't put the heat directly on the cast because it could break so do it easy and direct the heat right on the lead , clean it out good and then with the screw driver clean the ropeing out , now the pipe should come out, GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.:) :)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 30, 2008, 04:13 AM
    Secure, You have a lead and oakum poured and caulked joint. No need to hassle with a torch and attempt to melt it out. Let me show you the easy way.
    To remove a poured lead and oakum joint take a 3/8" drill bit and drill a few holes down past the lead and into the oakum.. Push a screwdriver under the lead ring and lever it up. Once it's free you can began to peel the lead ring out. Now pick out the oakum and you can pull the joint apart. Good luck, Tom
    sjk10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2012, 11:55 AM
    To those of you who are using a torch to melt the led, remember sewer gas is extremely explosive. I would not recommend that method.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Cast Iron Sewer [ 5 Answers ]

We dug up our basement today, what a mess Our sewer was backing up every now and then This is what we found We have had 3 plumbers here today and they all give us different fixes I have been trying to upload a picture but it says there all too big

Replacing Cast Iron Sewer Pipes [ 2 Answers ]

This is my first time posting here, and hopefully I can get some good advice. I was in my crawlspace yesterday running some coaxial TV cables and when I was near the sewer drain pipe, I noticed it was cracked along the top:eek: . The crack was about 4-6 feet in length, and fairly close to the...

Cast iron sewer line replacement [ 3 Answers ]

We have been having a concern where periodically the toilet and or tub will not drain then everything stops draining. Apx 3 years ago we rented an auger and cleaned out the line this seemed to work until a few months ago when everything backed up again. This time we had someone come out and look at...

Replacing old Cast Iron Sewer with PVC [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling a 2 bedroom house myself which sit on a crawl space and unfortunately I have to replace all plumbing and sewer systems inside the house. I was wondering what the best and easiest way to replace the cast iron sewer system with PVC. Do I need to replace the entire cast iron stack, how...

Can I replace part of my cast iron sewer stack. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a hopefully not too stupid question about replacing part of my cast iron sewer stack. I have a 50+ year old house with roots in my sewer pipe causing some backup thought the basement drain. I used root killer in the drain and several weeks later had a mat of small roots flush back up...

View more questions Search