Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lostissues Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

Mar 29, 2008, 09:51 PM
    Am I Worthless?
    Hi, I don't know how to start this at all...
    I'm a 16 year old girl who is a semi perfectionist. I get high marks ranging around high 80's to middle 90's. I am also a great pianist (at least that's what my teacher says). People tell me that I'm smart and that I am nice... but... I look in the mirror... I see someone that I don't want to be.
    Ever since I was little, my brother would constantly tell me that I'm ugly and that no one could ever love me. My brother isn't a horrible person, he might be a little selfish and mean at times, but one thing that he is, is honest and blunt. Every time I wore a dress, he'd call me ugly, every time I wore something a little tight, he'd call me fat. He sees so many faults in me... and.. I tried to block it out, I really do! My mom tells me not to listen... but... maybe he's right! After so many years of listening to him put me down.. I believe him... Now I look in the mirror... and there's nothing about me that I like. So, I'm not pretty, I'm not nice, I'm not smart... I'm nothing! Absolutely positively NOTHING!
    So I try hard in school. I stay up till early mornings (around 3am) studying, memorizing my notes, just so I can feel like I'm smart... that I'm actually worth something! My brother gets low marks in school, and by getting higher marks than him, I feel like I'm someone. Yet, I also know that if he even remotely tries to study... his marks will be higher than mine by a landslide.
    It really hurts... and I'm really depressed... I try to tell myself that I'm SOMEONE! But... what if he's right? Maybe I'm just kidding myself. I don't know what to do! I HATE myself and I don't want to live life like this at all! I cry when no ones watching and I act like nothings wrong... I... I... I'm so confused!

Anyway, for anyone that's reading this, I'm sorry for wasting your time, I just really needed to tell someone. It's been stuck in my chest for so long... and.. I can feel myself about to snap.. Thanks. Sorry for wasting your time.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 10:01 PM
    Well, first off, I'm impressed with your writing. You know grammar and spelling and punctuation, and you expressed yourself very well.

If your brother isn't doing well in school, why does his opinion matter? He needs to clean up his own act before he starts complaining about yours. How little IS he? (How much younger than you?)
    lostissues Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

Mar 29, 2008, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Well, first off, I'm impressed with your writing. You know grammar and spelling and punctuation, and you expressed yourself very well.

If your brother isn't doing well in school, why does his opinion matter? He needs to clean up his own act before he starts complaining about yours. How little IS he? (How much younger than you?)
    I guess I forgot to mention how old my brother is. My brother is older than me by 22 months, almost 2 years. He's currently 18 years old.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 10:11 PM
    So why does his opinion matter, especially since he isn't doing well? He should be begging you for help with study skills and going over his notes and text. I'D beg you for help if I were your sister!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 10:14 PM
    Let me ask you a question. Do you really think you are worthless?

If I were a teacher, I would do anything to get you into my class. And you're a girl. Do you know what an advantage it is to be female in this day and age? I wish I were young again and could start over. Wow! I envy you!

Now, give me some reasons I envy you--you, the person.
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Mar 29, 2008, 10:17 PM
    Your brother needs a life instead of sitting around ripping you a part. It seems his self esteem is probably shot and he needs to drag you down to make himself feel better.

It's hard to ignore crap like that especially when it's thrown in your face so much. But deary, even if you were fat or stupid (which I'm sure you aren't), yourself worth has to come from something that can't be so easily changed. Because if you DID gain weight in the future, you still should think you are a good person! Ask yourself these questions... do you treat people the way you would want to be treated? Are you the best person you can be? Are you living right by your standards (perhaps the standards of a higher power if that's what you believe in?)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Even if you were ugly it would not mean you are stupid or worthless.
    Your brother is being mean and you should not cave into him.
    You have a lot going for you and often that will make a person envious and jealous
    So I think he could be the one with insecurity issues. If you ever notice the people that do the most criticizing are the ones with no life or little to offer.
    Someday he just might admit to you that he is sorry for treating you so poorly when you were kids.
    P.S. I don't look in mirrors any more than I HAVE to so that I don't dwell on how ugly I think I am. That way it is easier to focus on the good things about who you are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Feel Worthless [ 3 Answers ]

Please help me this is my last hope for someone to help me. Im 13 and well I'm having a few problems at the moment. I've had some school issues but its an illness why I can't go and now I'm being home-schooled. Since I've been having the problems my mom and everything else around me has been...

Am I really worthless and selfish? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm a 17 year old girl and I could really use some help... I do not know what to do anymore. I'm always getting yelled at by both of my parents for being "worthless" and "selfish". This is constantly... like every day. For example, my mom went out of town last week to visit her parents. It...

Feeling worthless [ 7 Answers ]

I lived with a woman for 3 years, had a son with her. Now I live by myself after having a family for 3 years. I felt as if she mentally abused me with her insults, which are making me feel worthless. I have 2 conflicting dilemmas here. 1. I want to go back with her since I still love her....

Knowing if stock is worthless [ 3 Answers ]

We bought 10,000 shares of stock in the late 90's in a "startup" company through a Canadian broker (we are in U.S.) which, as best we can tell, went belly-up. The brokerage gave us the stock certificate a few years ago. It is not traded anywhere. I would like to write it off as worthless stock....

Deducting a worthless stock [ 1 Answers ]

A stock I bought about 3 years ago is now worthless. I can't sell, it has no value. How can I claim this loss? Can I simply use Schedule D? Or is there something else I have to do?

View more questions Search