Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AStrong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 06:55 PM
    Deceased Owners-Deed Name Changes
    My mother, older sister and brother-in-law were the names on the deed of the house that I currently live in. All three have now passed away. My brother-in-law left his interest in the house to his daughters and I am now in probate to be named executor of my mother's estate. How do my oldest niece and I have the deed changed to our names so we can sell the property and what are the associated fees?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Well you brother in law's daughter keeps her share of the house as well, so you need to talk to her first.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Well first you don't have to have it changed to your name, you can sell it as long as all of the heirs agree.

But 1 your mother, was she married ? If not what about brothers and sisters that you have, all would have shares

2. older sister, was she married, her husband would have a share, her children would have a share

3. brother in law- all of his children have to agree not just the oldest.

Or the court will OK its sell and you will see it as the exect of the estate
    AStrong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Well first you don't have to have it changed to your name, you can sell it as long as all of the heirs agree.

but 1 your mother, was she married ? if not what about brothers and sisters that you have, all would have shares

2. older sister, was she married, her husband would have a share, her children would have a share

3. brother in law- all of his children have to agree not just the oldest.

Or the court will ok its sell and you will see it as the exect of the estate
    I apologize for the ambiguity... my sister and brother-in-law were a married couple. There are no other siblings. My dad has been deceased for 4 years so there is no spouse. My sister died first so her interest was automatically assumed by her husband. When he passed he left his interest in the house to the oldest daughter (my niece). So there are only two persons that have inherited any interest in the home, myself and my niece. So do I understand that as long as we have the proper documents from the probate courts that we do not need to have the names changed on the deed?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AStrong
    I apologize for the ambiguity...my sister and brother-in-law were a married couple. There are no other siblings. My dad has been deceased for 4 years so there is no spouse. My sister died first so her interest was automatically assumed by her husband. When he passed he left his interest in the house to the oldest daughter (my niece). So there are only two persons that have inherited any interest in the home, myself and my niece. So do I understand that as long as we have the proper documents from the probate courts that we do not need to have the names changed on the deed?

In my only experience Probate Court ordered a new Deed in the correct names -
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 30, 2008, 06:00 AM
    As the executor of the estate you can sell your mother's interest in the property. Your niece needs to be the executor of her father's estate and then can sell his interest. Or, as executors, you can file a quit claim deed to deed the property from the estate to the beneficiaries.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 06:10 AM
    First thank you for returning and clearing up the who was who issues, I am sure it may have been clear to others, but more info is often helpful.

Scott is correct there is no need for a new deed as long as the executor of both estates agree and they sell it for the estate and the money goes into the estate to be divided out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Special warranty deed and quit claim deed what are they? [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference bewtween the two and what is the purpose?

Reversal of life estate deed using quit claim deed [ 2 Answers ]

Can a life estate deed be reversed if all remainders sign a quit claim deed in North Carolina?

Dual owners/One name on deed [ 2 Answers ]

If you have two 'owners' who paid for the home, are paying for the mortgage equally, but only one name is on the mortgage and they break up -- what happens? There is a paper trail with the mortgage payments, the mortgage origination payments, etc... and all the improvements on the house. This was...

Deceased name off deed [ 5 Answers ]

My grandfather just passed Dec. 5, I need to know what steps are needed to remove his name from the deed of his and my grandmothers house. Is it necessary to have a lawyer to do this? Thank you, Jeff P.S. We live in California.

View more questions Search