Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbos28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Son wants to live with his mom
    Hi,
    My 12 year old son wants to live with his mom. We have 50-50 live in the same town same school, he hasn't given me any reasons just wants to. It is tearing me apart I don't want to let him but what's in his best interest? Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Often kids want to be with one parent over another for various reasons often not for their own best interest. He could feel he is missing out on his friends in moms neighborhood, mom could be letting him get away with more. You need to keep your scheduled custody because the less you see him the more distance there can be with him toward you if you drift apart.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 06:14 PM
    What is the court order for physcial custody ? That is what is suppose to be followed.

Or you split time between, was there a reason the child is living with you ?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Find out why. He's getting older and soon the court will be listening more to what he wants. So unless it's a harmful reason like "well mom lets me drink and smoke" (not saying that it is, just an extreme example) if that's what he wants then let him. If you force him to continue living 50/50 with you and he doesn't want to he'll resent you for it later.
    ldyastrid Posts: 82, Reputation: 12

Mar 31, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Or... it could very well be that he feels because he lives in between 2 places that he doesn't have a real "home"... yes - he has 2 homes, but in reality - he has to bounce back and forth between the two - two different homes / bedrooms / expectations / rules (I'm guessing some of the rules are the same, but probably some are different - what's OK at your place might be unacceptable at hers... or vice-versa)

Just giving another perspective - not really having any advice to give - but communicate with him about it - he doesn't want to hurt either of your feelings, so he keeps quiet about HIS feelings - and at 12 years old - all kinds of things are happening with him - as with all kinds around that age.

Please talk - all 3 of you - separately (father/son, mother/son, mother/father, all three of you - work together to make the best deicision for him.

Best of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to live with my mom [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 16 years old and I live in New Hampshire. I no longer wish to live with my father whom I have lived with since I was 6 years old. My father isn't really a bad parent he's just a little too strict and it feels like him and my step mom push me away. I want to live with my mother but she isn't...

I'm 16 and I want to live with my mom. What do I do? [ 11 Answers ]

Here's the story: My mom had planned to move to Texas, and eventually we went to court. I had had a chance to talk with the mediator and everything, but then, my dad hired a lawyer. Unfortunately for myself, my mom can't afford a lawyer, so we had no choice but to drop the case. Another unusual...

My son wants to live with me not his mom [ 3 Answers ]

My son wants to live with me not his mom even though she has full custody. He is with me now but doesn't want to go home what can I do?

Live with mom- want to live with dad across country [ 3 Answers ]

I live with my mom with my 3 siblings. She has full custody. My dad is getting married and moving to California. I want to go with him. He knows that and says its OK if my mom says its OK. If my mom says no, what happens? Do I go to court? Do I easily loose if I don't have a ligitiment reason to...

Help me I want to live with mom! [ 3 Answers ]

I need help desperately! I am thirteen years of age and I would like to live with my mom!! I have been living with my dad since I was seven and I hate living here!! Please help I have court in a week to decide!! And I don't know if they will listen to me!!

View more questions Search