Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwarney Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 03:26 AM
    What to use for underlayment?
    I remember back in the 70s and 80s, 5/8" particle board was the underlayment of choice for carpeted areas in new construction. Does anyone know if this is still the best choice over a 3/4" T&G subfloor?

Thanks
    theporchguy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 11:08 AM
    mwarney,
    Use 3/4" TG Plywood. It is code and will last.

All the best,

The PorchGuy
    mwarney Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Hey thanks! Do you mean I should just install the carpet on the subfloor then? I know I wasn't clear in my question but I already have 3/4" T&G subfloor installed over the joists. I need to know what (if anything) I need to put down on top of this for underlayment. Like I said, years ago we used the 5/8" particle board but I think the subfloor back then was only 1/2" rough plywood.

Thanks again for your response!
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Mar 30, 2008, 05:18 PM
    You need to add a sub floor to it if you only have one on there now. When we build house well sheet the whole floor but go back and add hardwoods and other plywood for use carpet areas.
    theporchguy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 02:39 AM
    mwarney,
    Using the 5/8" paticle board will be adequate over the 3/4" T&G plywwod.

The PorchGuy
    g.peterrichards Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2012, 06:03 PM
    It's a matter of preference, as is the case with many other methods of work.. yes, particle board is still used under carpet, as is 3/4" T & G! There's something cleaner and smoother about particle board... but under the padding and then carpet?? do you think it will make a difference? Some folks think so. If it were MY house? Particle board, absolutely.
    G.P.R.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting a smooth underlayment for Linoleum flooring [ 14 Answers ]

Hello again! I am planning to install linoleum flooring in my kitchen, for that super retro look. :) The installation instructions stress that the underlayment must be as SMOOTH as possible. Any indentations or imperfections will show through the linoleum. My underlayment is plywood, CDX...

Tile Underlayment in Bathroom. [ 3 Answers ]

Due to a cast iron toilet flange that sticks up approximately 1" after old tile/mortar removal, I need to build up an underlayment. The subfloor is 3/4" plywood 16" oc. I am thinking about putting down a 5/8 layer of plywood and than 1/4 cement backerboard to get level with flange for tiling....

Vinyl reinforced concrete as underlayment [ 1 Answers ]

Would vinyl reinforced concrete be okay to use as an underlayment for carpet? :confused: I have a basement room that has an uneven floor. There is as much as a 1 1/4 inch variance within 5'. :mad: The high area runs through the middle of the room so I was planning on just leveling the half that is...

Subfloor?underlayment for tile floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm remodeling a bathroom and have replaced some rotten subflooring (1 x 12 planks). Now I want to install a tile floor. Should I affix cementboard directly to my subfloor or do I need a layer of plywood? Should I use mortar to attach the cementboard to the subfloor/plywood? Thanks!

View more questions Search