Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sallzsxc444 Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 02:18 AM
    Spacebar isn't working
    Hey_my_spacebar_wont_work_so_i_am_using_underscrol ls_for_them_

Can_someone_help_me_please?

P.S: I_copied_a_space_from_a_sentence_from_the_note_abo ve_so_that_id_be_able_to_make_a_title
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2008, 06:00 AM
    The easiest thing is to try a new keyboard--they are cheap nowadays.
    If you insist on using your current keyboard, and are courageous, you can try to fix it yourself. There is some risk that you will destroy it, however.

Keyboards are simply an array of switches that are actuated by the keys. The spacebar is slightly different, as it is such a long button. There will still just be one switch under it, but there is probably a metal rod to help stabilize it as well. Gently pry the spacebar up and it should pop right off. There is probably a round "dome" which is the top of the switch. Here is a picture that might help.
    Try pressing this dome down with the eraser end of a pencil or something similar (not pointed) and see if you can get spaces to show up on your monitor. If pressing harder does seem to help, you might try VERY slightly rubbing the dome back and forth (while pressing down) to clean any dirt off the contact. If you get spaces with lighter pressure now, you may be in business. Put the spacebar back on (make sure you hook the wire up properly) and see how it acts.

If it still doesn't work, you can take the keyboard apart and clean the spacebar switch with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol. This is a fair amount of work and makes a new keyboard seem all that much more attractive.

Best of Luck. Let us know how it goes.
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why isn't my cd working? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I just bought a new soundtrack to add to the music library on my computer (have xp). The cd contains a trailer as well as music, but the computer only seems to recognise the video. I know the audio works because I have already listened to it on a cd player, but I won't to be able to put it on...

My Dimmer Switch isn't working!HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

O.K so I have 3 spotlights in my bedroom which I originally controlled with a normall switch, no problem! After strong persuasion from my other half I brought a dimmer switch! Took me all of 2mins to wire it up, worked no problem. You push it in to turn lights on off, and turn to adjust...

Keyboard SpaceBar [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, All of a sudden my keyboard space-bar goes backwards as if it's backspace. PC is XP Pro Is not USB, but has cable adaptor from large to small that plugs into PC box. I have done a system restore and have looked around in settings etc. thinking there is a setting to change direction of...

My Yahoo mail isn't working right... [ 2 Answers ]

I have had Yahoo for a while now and lately it won't let me compose emails, move folders, make new folders, and forward emails? When I try to compse it just won't give me a place to write, its all gray like the rest of the page. And it won't let me poke the buttons that are with the folders and...

View more questions Search