Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amyhurst08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 07:49 AM
    I received a notice from court that I am being sued.
    I received a Justice Civil Citation this past Friday. It states I have 10 days to respond. It is asking that a default judgment be placed on my credit for a 2300.00 debt. I don't know what this debt is for. I disputed it on my credit report over a month ago. I asked them to tell me what the debt is for. It is from 2004 and I don't know who the origanl creditor is. The people suing are a third party debt collection agency.
    I don't know what to do. I don't have the money for an attorney. I have never refused to pay this debt but I don't know what it is for.
    What do you suggest I do? Should I respond to court myself and if so what do I tell them?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 26, 2008, 08:07 AM
    I moved this to the Bankruptcy and Debt forum. There are dozens of threads here that will tell you what to do. I suggest going through them.

The first thing you need to do is relax.

The next thing to do is prepare a response. This response is a simple letter stating that you intend to defend against this suit because you have no knowledge of this debt. That you request a hearing be scheduled on this issue.

Send that back to the court with the summons. Send a copy of that to plaintiff requesting that they verify the debt and their right to collect on it.

When they have verified the debt you can decide how to proceed (offer a settlement, payment plan etc.)
    amyhurst08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Thank you so much. I feel better. I will read through everything and prepare a response. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons received, Being Sued By Credit Card [ 7 Answers ]

Hey Ladies and Gentleman, I received a summons this morning at 7am from a Chase Bank USA stating that I was being sued for a credit card balance of $13500.00, most of which I did charge. The summons states that I have to respond within 20 days, but no court date is on the summons. I have had this...

Can I be sued in a different court [ 6 Answers ]

I'm being threatened with a law suit for a 2500 personal loan that a friend loaned me. I have worked off the loan by being her personal assistant and cleaning house, doing other odd jobs for her. Now she is saying my agreement was to pay 100 per month. So she is had her lawyer send me a letter. ...

Judgmnet notice never received [ 6 Answers ]

I recently checked my credit report, and discovered a judgment from Asset Acceptance Corp that was placed in CA in march of 07. I have been living in MI since December of 03... needless to say I was not notified of any collections,let alone a judgment. I contacted the court in SB, they said the...

Being sued in small claims court [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I purchased a mobile home (land contract and I don't even think the contract was legal) in 7-06. I was going through a divorce at that time. I had to land contract because I only worked 2 to 3 days per week and depended on my alimony that was ordered by the court. When I moved in, the...

View more questions Search