Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ravnofaspn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Capital One attempting to collect on closed account
    We were just served by a law firm hired by Capital One for a supposed credit card amount not paid over 3 years ago. We closed that account and paid any outstanding balance 3 years ago. We have 20 days to respond to the court if we wish to dispute this charge or we would lose by default. From everything I have found out Capital One is very deceptive in their credit card practice and it is common knowledge that they hire disreputable ambulance chaser law firms to go after people. These law firms try to add on as much as 26% interest plus whatever other charges they can think of to hike up what is really owed.

Does anyone know a proper letter form I can send the Court Clerk's office to dispute these charges and have the opportunity to address them in a timely manner?

I've tried form letters on line but have not found anything..
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 04:56 PM
    You will find the letter you want here on this website:

Credit.about.com

But before you proceed, get all your ducks in a row, your receipts, your statements, any proof you have that you have this debt paid off.

They don't hire law firms, they hire many many collections agencies that inflate the interest rate to cover their costs and that of the credit card company.

I have never had any problem with Capitol One, although the way things are going on the south side of the border makes me wonder what's going on with the Canadian economy as well.

Good luck.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 04:58 PM
    I had a similar problem a few years back and I called the attonery general they kindly told me what to write. Beware that you must file this letter with the clerk of courts and send the creditor a copy of the letter send it with a signanture required and return receipt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closed Checking Account [ 3 Answers ]

What actions can I take against a person who wrote me a check on a closed account and refuse to pay me? If I take her to court, can I also make her pay court fees?

When new capital is introduced, is it entered in the capital account or bank account? [ 1 Answers ]

When new capital is introduced, is it entered in the capital account or bank account?

Being sued by plaintiff to collect on an old account [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my name is Tony any help on this matter would be appreciated: I was summoned, I mailed Answer to Complaint the allegations don't pertain to me one to the court and one to the attorney. Then I received a letter from court for a pre trial and now a trial date has been set. I don't recall the...

How do I recover emails from a closed webmail account? [ 3 Answers ]

I asked virgin.net to close my "pay as you go" webmail account when I switched to their broadband - but didn't realise that in the process this deleted every email I had on that account! They said there is "no way" these emails can be recovered - not even by them. Surely there must be some way...

Two collection agency trying to collect on one account [ 2 Answers ]

We are in consumer counseling and making our payments in a timely manner, but are still being harassed by one creditor that is not making any sense. This one collection agency keeps calling to collect on a debt, but there is also another collection agency doing the same thing on the same account. ...

View more questions Search