Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minihand Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Depth of pvc sewer pipe under concrete floor
    I have to reconnect an ground floor existing toilet to a new SVP pipe, which means that I have to cut a trench in the original concrete floor in a 1935 house. How deep will I need to put the pipe below the concrete? Will I need to re-enforce the concrete when I fill the trench back in? I am sorry I am a bit of a novice so any help would be greatly appreciated
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 23, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Hey minihand:

Your pipe just needs to be covered by dirt... pipe cannot be in concrete is all.

You do not have to reinforce the concrete... just wet the edges well before patching the trench. Use wood float to spread/work the concrete to start, then use metal trowel at end to pull water out and seal the edges. Sometimes, I drop a little dry portland cement or even sand/cement mix at the edges and then trowel it in with the metal trowel... really feathers/finishes edges nicely!

Hope that helped. Mark

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 23, 2008, 08:37 AM
    You also asked how deep and that would be about 10", cover with dirt and then 4" of gravel before you pour.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 23, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by minihand
    I have to reconnect an ground floor existing toilet to a new SVP pipe, which means that I have to cut a trench in the original concrete floor in a 1935 house. How deep will I need to put the pipe below the concrete? Will I need to re-enforce the concrete when I fill the trench back in? I am sorry I am a bit of a novice so any help would be greatly appreciated
    Your branch depth will be determined by the depth on the main and the slope you give the branch. As Mark pointed out ,Your pipe just needs to be covered by dirt... pipe cannot be in concrete is all.
    You do not have to reinforce the concrete... just wet the edges well before patching the trench. Use wood float to spread/work the concrete to start, then use metal trowel at end to pull water out and seal the edges. Sometimes, I drop a little dry portland cement or even sand/cement mix at the edges and then trowel it in with the metal trowel... really feathers/finishes edges nicely! Thanks Mark! Couldn't have said it better myself. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hole in Pvc pipe in concrete [ 9 Answers ]

I recently drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the top side only of a 1 inch PVC water supply pipe that is buried in a concrete slab in close quarters. What is the best way to repair it? What are the options? Thank you. Giddy

How to Connect PVC to Concrete in Sewer Pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I am experiencing slow drainage in my main sewer and a plummer told me there are roots in the system. I dug a trench to locate the main sewer, which I found. It consists of 2 feet of 4" cast iron pipe that is then connected to concrete like pipes that are about 5.5 inches thick in...

How long does it take a concrete floor to dry from broken pipe burst? [ 1 Answers ]

I live on the top floor condo. A pipe burst on the roof of the building and the water went into my unit. The walls and floor got very wet. The water even went through to the unit below me and got their walls and floors very wet. A carpet guy came and pulled up my carpet and took out the wet...

Broken rod iron drain pipe in bathroom concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove a section of concrete (w/steel rods) from a bathroom floor to remove an old rotten rod iron drain pipe?

Waste pipe in concrete floor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new home that we have a spare bathroom that was rouged in. The home is slab construction with no basement due to the geology/hydrology in our area. The question I have is this: I have a waste pipe for a future toilet sticking up out of the floor. It looks like it's made of lead. Is...

View more questions Search