Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ms180sx Posts: 64, Reputation: 6

Mar 22, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Probation questions. NYS Youthful Offender
    So, my PO has done 2 "random" searches this year, never did any the first 3.5 years of my probation.

The first time they came, they found some bullets( no gun) that belonged to a friend.. They also found a bb gun, which is a toy. My Po told me to get rid of the bullets, so I did. We went over the terms of my probation, and there was nothing that said anything about look-alikes, just no real firearms.

This time, a different PO came to my house, and found the BB gun. They told me it's a violation, and I told them that I discussed it with my po, and found that it isn't against my terms. They took it anyway.

Now My Po, 1 day later, calls me in to tell me that she never said that, and that she's bringing me in front of the Judge to modify my conditions, to contain a look alike clause.
    I was arrested for a drug sale, and have no violent past. I fell my Po is out to get me.

When I asked her for a copy of the policies and procedures manula, she said that the judge wolnt even consider a early relase until at least 4 years, while I believe NYS law to be 2/3rds of good time, i.e. 40 of 60 months. I have now done 47 months, and have had like no problems.

I Have been planning a visit to a college in NC, and now she told me I can't go. Its like what did I do wrong> I have had a job for like the first 3 years. I lost my job last year, couldn't find a new one. I was enrolled in college, which I am almost done with, as I'm graduating with my AS in business admin this summer.

I am just concerned because, now she's talking about making me come every 2 weeks, when I have been coming Once a month since my first year. I have done every court ordered requirenment, successfully completeing both in patient and my outpatient rehabs. I have always worked or been in school. I have not been arrested, and the worst thing I have gotten is a few speeding tickets last year. I since have sold my "race" car, and now drive a 4cyl truck, and haven't gotten a ticket in months.

I want to be released from probation, so I can transfer to a school in North Carolina, where I really want to go. My po tells me not to consider a school outside of NY, and I'm really confused on why she's riding me so hard, when I'm not doing anything worng.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Tim-
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 10:25 AM
    I don't think it is so much a case of your PO being out to get you but more that they stick together on things so she changes her story. If she told you they are going to do a modification clause to include the look alikes then it evidentially was not in your file so you can point that out to them.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Hello Tim:

I don't know why she's riding you. That's what they think their job is, I guess. I really have no idea what goes on with them.

Did you get the procedures manual? It doesn't matter what she says. It matters what you do. If you follow the procedures manual to get your transfer or early relese, and document everything you do, then it doesn't matter much what she says. It matters what happens.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 02:49 PM
    You never said what it was that landed you on probation and never said how long the probation was for. Did you do any jail time at all or was this strictly probation?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 03:19 PM
    And if you want to get a transfer to another school, you can always request one also. At times it is the proper thing to have an attorney

Mar 22, 2008, 05:36 PM
    I'm on probation for 5 years, after doing 4 months in county. I was charged with criminal sale of a controlled substance in the 3rd degree.

I read an article in the paper saying 6 people were charged with violations in my home town from probation. They called it operation nightlite, or something like that. I know she's not out to get me, but it just seems a little weird, that's all.
    She says the judge wolnt let people off early, but I have seen him release people early in court. So I don't know.

I am going to get a copy of the procedures and policies manual. And go from there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Most likely someone gave them info that they though you were back into drugs again, most of the searches come from someone giving them info

Mar 22, 2008, 09:21 PM
    Yeah I guess, I'm not I only go to work and I go to the gym and I go to school. That's it.. lame I know.. lol..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ms180sx
    im on probation for 5 years, after doing 4 months in county. I was charged with criminal sale of a controlled substance in the 3rd degree.

I read an article in the paper saying 6 people were charged with violations in my home town from probation. They called it operation nightlite, or something like that. I know shes not out to get me, but it just seems a little wierd, thats all.
    She says the judge wolnt let people off early, but i have seen him release people early in court. so idk.

i am going to get a copy of the procedures and policies manual. and go from there.

Maybe when they told you not to have firearms they also meant bullets you were holding for a friend -

Mar 23, 2008, 11:51 AM
    I did some research, under article 265 of the NYS penal law, on explosive tip or armor piercing bullets are illegal.
    I also looked up probation and found the clause in the criminal procedures law that relates to probation.
    I believe it is artilce 490.10 section 3.a that says " at any time the courts can reduce a period of probation or end probation if the following cirteria are met:
    1) no more need for supervision
    2) diligently followed all probation requiernments
    3) there is no adverse effect to the public

So, I am preparring my case , getting all of the proof that I meet these requirenments, and am going to ask the judge for early release. If he says no, I am going to ask for unsupervised probation for the remainder of my probation 15 months, to show that I have become a responcible, law abiding citizen.

Reasons for early release include movign to attend a new college, ( no 4years schools in my county), and I prefer a school in the carolinas. Combined with my record of doing everything good, I see no reason why this request shouldn't be granted.

Mar 23, 2008, 09:24 PM
    I'm already practicing for my law career.. lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NYS Violation of Probation DWI [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter was 21 when she got her first DWI (last year); she received a suspended sentence of one year in jail, 3 yrs probation, and treatment. She completed treatment (drinking the whole time) and got another DWI, same town, same judge. She took a plea with the felony in the city since our town...

Probation Questions [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to relocate to VA for a better job opportunity. However, I am currently on 24 months porbation for Theft By Deception and receiving stolen property. I have been making payments and my fines and community service is all up to date. I currently reside in PA. Does anyone know if this...

Have anyone use Youthful Essence Microdermabrasion System by Susan Lucci?or know of any [ 5 Answers ]

Have anyone use Youthful Essence Personal Microdermabrasion System by Susan Lucci?. what do it do for the skin?. or do anyone know of a better Microdermabrasion system that works?. I have a lot of white heads on my Nose and was wondering if this can help and also my skin is kind of...

NYS probationer questions! Early Release future jobs? [ 3 Answers ]

I was arrested at 18 for CSCS 3rd, or criminal sale. I was given y/o status, served 4 months and was given 5 years of probation. I have been on probation for 40 months now, with no failed drug tests, violations or new charges. I have received a few speeding tickets, but no new charges or...

Questions on unsupervised probation [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend was charged with a misdemeanor in Maryland and put on unsupervised probation in 2006. He was told that as long as he stayed out of MD he would be OK. He recently turned himself in on a warrant that he had from 2005 in Westchester and was asked to serve 6 months. He is currently...

View more questions Search