Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Mar 17, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Higher education claim, paid 08 schooling in 07.
    I received a 1098 with my tuition that I paid in 2007. It also included tuition for a spring class for 2008. That amount was paid sometime in December. According to Pub 970 (Publication 970 (2007), Tax Benefits for Education) , under the section titled "What expenses qualify" it says that I can claim 2008 classes if paid in 2007. Is that a "I must claim them in 2007," or is it, "I have the option to claim it in 2007?" I read that it says that I am allowed to take the deduction for 2007, but I've reached the limit anyway for 2007, so would rather defer the claim to 2008. Is that allowed?

Also, I receive tuition reimbursement from work. If tuition is 2000, and I get 500 back after the class is done, should I claim the 2000, then edit the amount later in the following tax year, or just assume I get the 500 reimbursement in the initial claim. The reason I ask is that for my expenses, I've only received the reimbursement for 1 class last year, and am still waiting for 4 more. That makes a huge difference in my tax form. To keep it easier for me, I would prefer to account for the reimbursement during filing time. I want to make sure that's allowed.

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 2, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Claim what you PAID in tuition, since it appears that reimbursement is NOT guaranteed.

You can amend the return later if necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F1 students claim higher education expense [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am a F1 student from India. I would like to know if I can use the 1098T to claim for Hope or Lifetime Learning credits. Thanks Joe

Deduction on Education loan paid in India [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently on H1B in USA. I have paid around $3000 in 2007 in my education loan in India. Can I get any deduction on that? They loan was taken in india in a indian bank Thanks Sumesh

How do I claim deduction on commission not yet paid out [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am an owner of a small real estate company and I would like to know where on the Corporate tax "income statement" form I can include commissions that are due to agents but have not yet paid out during the current year end . I would like these reflected in the current tax year as the...

Why is C++ useful in higher education? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear, Most postgraduates in business school are required to study C++. Why is that useful? How can it be applied to the problems of finance? Thanks a lot!

Can I claim back FICA taxes paid? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working with an H-1B visa. I'm going back home in April 2006 and I am not intend to come back to the US to work. Can I claim back the Social Security and Medicare taxes I've paid?

View more questions Search