Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fish1999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 05:13 PM
    How many koi fish to put in a pond?
    SOMEONE HELP!
    I am getting a koi fish pond in New England I am having difficulty figuring out how many koi fish to put in the pond I have looked in the interent but there really isent any answer I don't want to overcrowd the fish but I also want to keep them from growng to big (about 6")
    The tank is about 2.5 ft-1.5ft and is about four by four
    PLEASE HELP!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 05:14 PM
    If the fish are only going to grow to 6" I would suggest with a pool that small you would not want to put more than 6 or possibly 8 koi in the pool or they could easily get overcrowded. 6 would be better though.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Why don't you put common goldfish in the pond instead.
    They will only grow to about 6 inches.
    If you know how many liters the pond is I can give you an idea about how many fish to keep.
    AlexB Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Mar 19, 2008, 09:56 AM
    None.

A koi is a large riverine carp. It should easily grow to 24-30" long. There would barely be enough room to turn around in your pond. And they need a lot of volume of water. I'm calculating approximately 300 gallons for your pond. That would be about the absolute minimum needed for 1 koi in order for it to thrive. Koi can live for 12-15 years if in good conditions.

I say go with goldfish - there are a lot varieties that you could put several in a 300 gallon pond without a problem - Sarrassa's, comets, shubunkins (sp?).

Think of it this way. Would you keep a horse in a six foot square dog kennel? It would fit. And would survive. For a while. But it definitely would not thrive.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 07:04 PM
    And believe it or not, I have had better survival rates with the cheap "feeder" goldfish from stores than I have had with the higher priced varieties of goldfish. Don't ask me why, I do not know, but that is just my experience.
    AlexB Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Mar 24, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    And believe it or not, I have had better survival rates with the cheap "feeder" goldfish from stores than I have had with the higher priced varieties of goldfish. Don't ask me why, I do not know, but that is just my experience.

A pretty accurate statement. While koi can take a lot of abuse, there are a lot stronger varieties of ornamental fish out there.

Take a couple of wild carp (who you can't kill with a 2" x 4") with strange color mutations, inbreed them for about 30 generations or so and you end up with a fish that is pretty but a lot more susceptible to environmental insults. Kind of like a the survival ability of a domestic turkey from Pilgrim's Pride vs. the wild turkeys in the woods.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I put Mini Puffer fish in a community? [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought 2 baby mini puffer fish and put them in my community tank. They are not aggressive, but they do not let other fish near them. I have zebras, catfish, neons, platy's and several other peaceful fish in a 20 gallon tank. Will these puffers play nice, or should I return them now?

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

Outdoor pond,electrical [ 3 Answers ]

Good morning from sunny Ca. I have a outdoor pond and need to run electricity to the pump. I have a GFI outlet on the garage side that is about 50 feet from the pond. Do they make extension cords that would work even when the sprinklers are on? I thought about using the direct burial romex...

View more questions Search