Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khm62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 04:09 AM
    I have 5 children from my ex husband, and a daughter from a subsequent relationship that my ex husband has raised as his own. Although my daughter had contact with her biological father until 4 years ago, she chose not to see him because of his behaviour towards her and myself. Her biological father took me to court for contact and parental responsibility but due to his violence and the fact that my daughter wanted no contact with him whatsoever, he was not allowed any kind of contact. Also, my daughter wished to have her surname changed to that of my ex husband and other siblings. This was obtained without her natural fathers permission and upheld in court. It is my daughters wish that my ex husband adopts her. However, it is unlikely that her natural father would agree to this. Is there any way of getting round this? Could anyone tell me the legal age at which she can be adopted without her natural fathers permission?

[QUOTE=Fr_Chuck]There is no age. Several things, first I doubt that the court will allow a EX husband to adopt, if this was a current husband, even a live in boyfriend ( or girlfriend in many area) with a estabished relastionship, then yes.

But then since the courts have stripped him of most of his rights at this point because of his behavior ( which you were lucky since normaly they will not) But you can try, I would say that the fact you are not with your ex any longer will be the biggest issue to the adoption.[/QUOT

My daughter is now 12 years old. At the ahe of 9 she chose not to see her natural father as contact was very sporadic, he was a bully to her and also because on the few times he did see her I had ti provide food for her. And that is even though he has never paid a penny in maintenance. But she was scared of him. He took me to Court for contact, parental responsibility and to change her surname back to his. He had not seen my daughter for previous 8 months and she had requested her name be changed to that of her 5 other siblings and my ex-husband. She has always looked on my ex-husband as her father,he has always treated her sa such and it is my daughters request that my ex-husband should legally adopt her. He is more than happy to do this and I am in agreement to. Her natural father did not get anything he asked for in Court. He was only granted indirect contact with birthday and Christmas cards, he was supposed to send a disposable camrea for me to take photos of my daughter and he had the opportunity to buy a school photo. He has not done any of this. We have no contact with him whatsoever due to his aggressive behaviour towards us. I am not sure if it makes any difference but he has another child younger that he has no contact with, has never seen and never made any serious attempt to. However I am in contact with mother and child. So, as this is my daughters wish can we proceed with adoption by my ex-husband without the biological fathers permission? As I am aware where he lives would it be down to me to contact him to try and obtain permission from him? Would that permission have to b in writing? After the Court case he did agree to tha adoption in a text message-but, stupidly I never kept the text. Any advice on this would be very acceptble. Thank you.
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Mar 12, 2008, 04:21 AM
    Age shouldn't matter.
    It really depends where you live. Often you can get a child adopted without parental consent if the parent cannot be found or is deemed unfit. You'd have to look into your local legal system.

Kal
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 05:46 AM
    There is no age. Several things, first I doubt that the court will allow a EX husband to adopt, if this was a current husband, even a live in boyfriend ( or girlfriend in many area) with a estabished relastionship, then yes.

But then since the courts have stripped him of most of his rights at this point because of his behavior ( which you were lucky since normaly they will not) But you can try, I would say that the fact you are not with your ex any longer will be the biggest issue to the adoption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a mother leave te state with a child without the fathers permission [ 8 Answers ]

My fiancé has a 4 year old daughter and the mother ( a friend of mine ) told me that she was leaving the state with his daughter for a 2 week vacation but never told the father, does she have the right to do that with out his consent? Also, they are planning on going out of the country in the...

Getting permission to take 16yr old over the border without fathers signature. [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters father is MIA and is wanted by police for assaulting her in November. I am getting married in the US. She is 16. If we can't get him to sign the travel papers what do we do?

A fathers rights after adoption? [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriends exgirlfriend had a child and had another man sign his rights away knowing he wasn't the father. My boyfriend had to get a lawyer to find out he was 99.9% the father. After that it went to court. He wanted to get his daughter back. After two court dates the adoptive parents stepped out...

Adoption or terminating fathers rights [ 8 Answers ]

My son's biological father isn't around. He hasn't called in 15 months. He hasn't used a visitation in 26 months. He hasn't paid child support in just over 16 months. Can my current husband adopt my son without consent of his biological father? Is there a way to terminate his parental rights? I...

Termination of fathers rights/adoption [ 5 Answers ]

i am the mother of 2 children ages 5 and 2 1/2 they haven't seen their biological father in over 17 months thats his own fault he could've seen them he hardly pays his child support and when he does he only has to pay 72.00 per week which is nothing really my 5 year old doesn't want to see him and...

View more questions Search