Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IllinoisChip Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Highly Compensated Employee and 401(k) refund
    My company's 401(k) plan administrateor just sent me a refund of a portion of the money I had put into the 401(k) plan in 2007, saying that the company had failed to meet the non-discrimination tests for highly-compensated employees (HCEs). The check includes the portion of my original withholding that they are returning, plus a small amount of earnings on it. My question is: how do I report this on my 2007 taxes? I think the answer is that I add the portion that reflects the return of my contribution to Wages and Salary on Form 1040, but not include the earnings portion until I do my 2008 taxes next year. I have not received a 1099-R for this distribution, and from what I understand won't be getting one until January 2009. Do I have this right?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Sounds right to me. The amount was withheld PRETAX, so no taxes were withheld and they weren't included on our W2 your as taxable income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Highly Strung Horse [ 3 Answers ]

My niece has recently gotten into horses and we bought a POA for her in Aug. When she tried it out the filly was great, all she did was put her head down a little a want to cut corners. My niece is almost 13 and she pony just turned 3. My niece has been working with her greatly, the pony now knows...

WOE is Highly Poisonous! [ 15 Answers ]

Please read this this report. Glad I came across this article confirming it's very dangerous! Rip-off Report: World Of Entertainment 23 .com highly poisonos mercury & steroid based skin products Internet

Alarm at US right to highly personal data [ 2 Answers ]

Alarm at US right to highly personal data | UK News | The Observer Religion and sex life among passenger details to be passed on to U.S. officials. Uncomfortable with that? Come spend your money in Canada! We'd love to have you.

View more questions Search