Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bruce martin Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Copper to plastic
    I need to add an outside faucet and will have to T into exsiting copper tubing. Can I use plastic pipe to T into the copper pipe? I am trying to save money.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Bruce.. how far is it from copper line to where the new outside faucet will be?

Mar 11, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Bruce..how far is it from copper line to where the new outside faucet will be?
    About 15 feet
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 09:09 AM
    OK... you planning to solder the tee or use a compression type fiting off the copper?

Mar 11, 2008, 09:11 AM
    OK...you planning to solder the tee or use a compression type fiting off the copper?
    I never soldered before
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 09:14 AM
    OK... could go compression.

They sell a 5/8" o.d. brass compression tee and a 1/2" male x 5/8" brass compression adapter.

Here, you would cut an inch or so out of the copper pipe and install the compression tee fitting... then use the little stub piece of copper to install the adapter to the tee. Now, you can transition over to plastic pipe via a female adapter to cpvc piping for example. Need some pics..

Or you could go the SHARKBITE route... same as above but I think you will find even easier.. let me get pics.. BRB

Mar 11, 2008, 09:18 AM
    OK.....could go compression.

They sell a 5/8" o.d. brass compression tee and a 1/2" male x 5/8" brass compression adapter.

Here, you would cut an inch or so out of the copper pipe and install the compression tee fitting...then use the little stub piece of copper to install the adapter to the tee. Now, you can transition over to plastic pipe via a female adapter to cpvc piping for example. Need some pics..?

Or you could go the SHARKBITE route...same as above but I think you will find even easier..let me get pis..BRB
    Yes Pic's would help
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Check the attached site out (click on) to see some stuff on sharkbite fittings.
    AOL Image Search results for "sharkbite fittings"

THIS SITE TELLS YOU ALL ABOUT INSTALLING INTO COPPER AND THEN OVER TO CPVC... THINK IT IS THE WAY TO GO... JUST BE SURE YOU READ DIRECTIONS ON CAN OF CPVC CEMENT

And here is a pic. Of the compression type.

Then you need to decide what type of plastic pipe.
    Attached Images

Mar 11, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Check the attached site out (click on) to see some stuff on sharkbite fittings.
    AOL Image Search results for "sharkbite fittings"

And here is a pic. of the compression type.

Then you need to decide what type of plastic pipe.
    Thanks for all your help. I need to get this honey do off my list so I can go fishing!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 09:27 AM
    There are a lot of ways to do this Bruce... investigate options, go to home supply and work with them... or better yet, go to plumbing supply house and disuss best options with them. They will know what is most popular in your area... good luck with this... Mark

Mar 11, 2008, 09:28 AM
    There are alot of ways to do this Bruce...investigate options, go to home supply and work with them...or better yet, go to plumbing supply house and disuss best options with them. They will know what is most popular in your area...good luck with this...Mark
    Thanks Mark!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Let me know how it goes.. ok? Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plastic angle valve on copper - What is it? [ 6 Answers ]

In my bathroom the copper stub out is connected to a plastic fitting which has a braided supply line fixed to it. Where the shut-off knob would normally be there is a circular piece of plastic which turns freely. Is this some type of quick connect fitting? I think I have a leak at the...

Plastic or copper for outside water supply? [ 14 Answers ]

I live in cold winter climate. I want to run water from inside the house to outside for watering in summer. I have black HDPE to a brass valve, then connecting to 3/4 PEX to service the house. As per the picture, I want to tee in and run 1" cold water outside to connect to a watering system. The...

Plastic copper connections [ 5 Answers ]

I have a copper plumbing system and want to join copper to cpvc what are my options? Are there addapters for 1/2 inch copper pipe to cpvc?

Copper into plastic [ 2 Answers ]

Hi iwas replacing my floor because it was rotting when I was cutting some of it up I got into my copper supply line for the shower how can I tie into it with plastic because my soldering job turned out to be a big waste of time. Thank you for your help

Plastic and Copper pipe connections [ 1 Answers ]

Help... I am trying to replace a kitchen faucet. The copper water supply pipe is connected to a plastic shut-off valve. I want to replace the plastic shut-off valve with a metal valve. The plastic shut-off valve will not come off the copper water supply pipe. How do I get this off? I tried...

View more questions Search