Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BFERRARI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 07:04 PM
    6 month old Cockapoo suddenly turns his nose up to his food.
    Hi,

My 6 month old Cockapoo "Rocky" has been somewhat happily eating his **** Van Patten Natural Balance wet and dry mixed food. I mix equal parts of these two foods together:

Wet:
    Canned Beef and Brown Rice, Duck and Potato, etc:
    http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog...UPDcanned.html

Mixed with this Dry:
    Venizon and Rice formula, Beef and Rice Forumla http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog...as/VenDog.html

And also add small chunks of this:
    Food rolls:
    http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog...s/DFRolls.html

(this dog eats better than me ;) )

Though he never devours it. He always gave it a few sniffs, would walk away to see if I have anything else for him, then he would finally meander over to his food bowl and finally eat.

But now he isn't eating any of it. It's been two days. He WILL eat it if I stuff a cooked hot dog or turkery or something else in it. So I think his problem is that he probably just doesn't like the food anymore. Everyone tells me how their dogs love this food, but mine isn't buying what **** Van Patten is selling ;)

So I believe my dog's problem is just lack of interest in his food. Are there tricks I can do to make him eat this? Am I better off trying a different brand? If so, what brands would actually taste better and be as good for him as Natural Balance? Or is Natural Balance just a bunch of crud? That "Chicken Soup for the Soul" dog food sounded good as someone posted that on this board earlier.

One last note: I did pull an engourged tick off his chest. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. He seems very happy and active otherwise.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 07:41 PM
    Your title suggests the sudden change in behavior that calls for a visit to the vet. The body sounds more like the typical spoiled, over fed dog. The vet visit still might not hurt. While you are there, discuss the dog's body condition. I am guessing the vet will say he is over weight. Before you go compare him to this illustrated guide.

September 07, link to chart replaced with LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog

This isn't just something I once found on a kibble bag. It is an illustrated guide saying exactly the same thing as the Puppy Raising Manual I have from a large dog guide school. Their vet staff supervises the care of thousands of dogs through their whole life. Nobody has more information on dogs or more incentive to give them the best possible care. Few websites have near the background the school has. Over weight shortens dogs lives. You can send a kid to 4 years of college for what it costs to train and new dog guide.

If you and the vet agree the dog needs to lose weight, this is what you need to do. Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.
    BFERRARI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 05:41 AM
    He was at the vet about three weeks ago and the vet said that he was at an ideal weight. Just because I mix in three food types together doesn't mean that I am overfeeding. I give a quarter to a half cup of kibble, one large fork one quarter of a large wet can and 1/4 inch of the food stick chopped up. It barely makes a total of 3/4 of a cup. So no he is not overfed.

I'm looking for alternatives to the Natural Balance food I am giving him now does anyone have any suggestions of a good replacement of any tricks to help motivate him to eat?

Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Month old baby has a stuffy nose and a cough [ 13 Answers ]

I have a month old baby. He has a stuffy nose and a cough. I took him to his doctor but the doctor says he's too young to take medicine. He has hard time sleeping, and I don't know what to do anymore, any suggestions what to do?:(

Year lease then month to month? [ 9 Answers ]

I live in Los Angeles California. I've lived in my apartment for over 1 year after signing a 12 month lease. Now that the 12 months on the lease are over, my landlord wants me to sign a new 12 month lease. I don't want to sign another 12 month lease. I may go to school in a few months and I'd...

Notice required on a month to month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease that ended on July 31, 2006 in Minnesota. The lease states that if resident stays in the apt after the lease ends, with managements approval, it becomes a month to month lease. I stayed. The notice period stated in the lease is 60 days, effective the last day of the month....

Property convert to month to month? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Wisconsin and I have been renting 2 back to back billboards of which one is subleased. The party did not renew the 5 year lease and the subleasee gave notice they were not renewing their lease. The problem is that the lease ended June 1st and they have not removed their...

6 month old lab eating adult food? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I recently got a black lab from a breeder. He is 6 months old and was being fed iams lamb and rice adult dog food (1.5 cups a day). My question is this the correct food for my dog. The vet said to switch him to a large breed puppy food. I am confused as to who's advice I should take. Any...

View more questions Search