Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    argie26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Breaking a new lease,nj
    I signed a lease for a two bedroom apartment 2-3 days ago, and also ave my deposit. My landlord though forgot to inform me that we get water from a well ( ground water) which according to the people upstairs ,summer time it dries out constantly. And there is only one boiler/ furnace for the whole house. The other tenants said they don't pay heat, its includded in their rent, which means that I pay for the whole house. I am supposed to move in on April 1st, and I don't know if I can get out of this situation without losing my money. Please help.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 02:45 PM
    Wow, that is ridiculous, you should never be without water, and I would certainly not be okay with paying heat for someone else. I'm not sure how yo would get out of the lease without losing your money now, but I would stop paying for all the heat ASAP, that's insane. Just get a space heater and let the other neighbors deal with it themselves. Spring is coming soon. Also, if the water dries up, tell the landlord that this is an unacceptable living condition, as it is, legally, and that if the problem is not resolved, you are justified in breaking the lease and not being penalized for it. They cannot ask you to go without water.
    luvmylab Posts: 90, Reputation: 7

Mar 10, 2008, 07:19 AM
    DO NOT MOVE IN! You might loose your deposit but that will be nothing compared to the problems you will have if you move in.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Hello a:

You probably will lose your deposit, and maybe even a months rent or two. However, if you break the lease, the landlord is required to rent it again ASAP to mitigate your loss. He certainly ought to be able to re-rent it by then.

You should do your investigation BEFORE you sign a lease - not AFTER. That lesson is going to cost you.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease prior to occupancy.lease already signed [ 13 Answers ]

Help. My question is this... i signed a lease to rent a single family home... i gave a 200.00 deposit to hold it/toward security. I am unable to move into the home because i have to go out of state for a very ill family member (mother). ive tried to contact "LANDLORD" several times when i heard of...

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Stipulations in a lease vs. Law when breaking a lease [ 8 Answers ]

I'm breaking a lease with my landlord 6 months in (I'm moving out of the country). I've found someone to take over the lease immediately upon my departure. I informed my landlord 5 weeks prior to the point where I'd be breaking the lease. The landlord has (three weeks later) informed me that they...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

Breaking A Lease [ 4 Answers ]

Hello i moved in to bella vista apartments in april paid rent and security depost. I gave written notice april 30 of moving out this was in 2003. They sent a letter keeping my desposit (fine). No damaged was caused also the apartment was rented out. Now 2007 they letting me i owe money for rent...

View more questions Search