Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rachel101 Posts: 77, Reputation: 19

Mar 6, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Small leak between garbage disposal and sink
    I've noticed a little water in the cabinet under my sink. Finally figured it leaks a little where the garbage disposal connects to the bottom of the sink. Can I expect to just pull the disposal and replace a rubber washer or something or will I need anything else to take care of this?
    Any advice before I start messing with this would be helpful.
    Thank you.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 01:06 PM
    What brand of disposal is it? Name may be on drain flange.

Mar 6, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Unit reads "Grind All Food Waste Disposal"
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 6, 2008, 01:12 PM
    You can try to tighten the bolts beneath the drain. If that doesn't get it then chances are you have a ruptured putty seal under the lip of the drain that is caused by the vibration of the disposal. To repair this you will have to remove the disposal and drain assembly completely. Set the disposal on the cabinet floor and clean up the old putty around the sink drain opening. Now take some plumbers putty and roll out a ring to put under the drain lip. Reassemble the drain assembly tightening the bolts so the putty squeezes out.; and the bolts are tight. You may now reinstall the disposal and you're back in business. Good luck, tom
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Refer to this page for pictures to help visualize the following steps:
    1. Unplug or remove power to your disposal
    2. You might want a small bucket or some towels because some water will be involved
    3. Disconnect the trap from disposal, leaving the discharge tube attached (second picture)
    4. Disconnect dishwasher drain hose (if used) from the dishwasher nipple (second picture)
    5. Now, up by the sink drain, you should see a ring with 3 loops (as shown in the first picture)
    6. Put a stack of 2x4's or a small stool under the disposal because it gets real heavy when disconnected--you don't want it falling on your hand/foot/anything.
    7. Stick a screwdriver into one loop and pry on it--rotating the ring counter-clockwise (i.e. you'll push the screwdriver away from you if you are looking straight at the loop (as in the first picture)
    8. After about a quarter turn or so, the disposal should drop down
    9. Remove the rubber seal on top of the disposal and replace (note that the referenced webpage does not show this seal anywhere)
    10. Reverse the steps to reassemble

You might want to get the manufacturer and model info from the disposal and get the seal before going through all this work.

Best of Luck,
    WallyH

Mar 6, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Thanks Wally, Tried to rate your answer but apparently I have to "spread some reputation around first"/ Thanks for the pics, I will refer to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garbage Disposal [ 3 Answers ]

We just moved into a house. It was built in 1951. The sink in the kitchen is a large single sink. Not replaceable without replacing the counters. It is sunk in with grout and original tiles surrounding it. Is there any way to install a garbage disposal with only having a single sink? ...

Garbage disposal side of the sink won't drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Suddenly the side of my kitchen sink that contains the garbage disposal won't drain. The garbage disposal is empty, it seems to work just fine and the other side of the sink drains beautifully. Plunging doesn't work because of the dishwasher run-off vent. Am I safe in assuming that the clog...

Does Kitchen Sink Sprayer Go On Same Side As Garbage Disposal? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a double bowl kitchen sink. Does the sprayer go on same bowl as the garbage disposal or on the opposite bowl?

Garbage disposal [ 1 Answers ]

My disposal has always worked just fine, but today it's sending water back up into the sink after it's gone down once the switch is turned off? A clog? Does this necessarily mean a plumbing call?

Garbage disposal [ 5 Answers ]

I had a garbage disposal installed in my kitchen by a plumber. Sometime when we put garbage in and turn it on it shoots out the other drain and comes up into the other sink basin. My guess is that too much garbage is being put inthere at one time and shoots it across. Also, the instructions say to...

View more questions Search