Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bskinner57 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2006, 06:28 AM
    Venting problems??
    Hi Tom, here's an update. Sewer line from house to tank augered out, Ran hose in line for 15 min while cleanining it out. Filled tub over half full.. Upon draining everything was fine. Tub used again two hours later drains fine, I Use two hours after that, Downstairs toilet does not back up, but big bubbles come int o that toilet.. Coud it be that the vent is not good (big) enough for the tub? This is driving me crazy! Thanks for any and all help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 30, 2006, 06:45 AM
    Hi BS,
    When your fixtures begain to talk back to you they do it in two ways. They "gurgle" atcha or they "bubble" atcha. The "gurgle" is caused by vacuum caused by a blocked vent. The "bubble" is caused by back pressure due to a partial blockage or a septic tank that, (if filled up because the drainfield is no long able to handle the discharge from a fixture that dispenses so much volume in short a period that it loads the tank up), needs to be pumped. Since you say you have a bubble, indicating air being forced back up the sewer line by the sudden backup of discharged liquid.
    I would check the tank itself to see if it needs to be pumped. If the tank's full and should be pumped I would also want the drainfield checked to see if I had a problem there. Somewhere out there you still have a partial clog. Good luck, Tom

Jan 30, 2006, 07:20 AM
    The tank was pumped on Thursday it is empty, that's why we can figue it out. Line is open from house to tank.Line going to leach field is open also. We tested the sewer line by putting a hose in it for 15 minutes and running it full bore, there wsas no back up or anything. Tub was drained twice earlier in the day with no problems. Then when I used it it bubbled back into toilet when tub was almost empty.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 30, 2006, 07:55 AM
    Backups indicate only one thing. That the discharge is hitting a obstruction.
    " Tub was drained twice earlier in the day with no problems. Then when i used it it bubbled back into toilet when tub was almost empty."
    Have you pulled the toilet and snaked out its drain line? The fact that you still have a problem tells you that you've missed something. Please keep me in the loop on this one. Tom

Jan 31, 2006, 11:53 AM
    Toilet line was power auger out on Sunday. Went out twenty feet..
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 31, 2006, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bskinner57
    Toilet line was power auger out on sunday. Went out twenty feet..
    Something was missed. Otherwise you wouldn't have the same problem.
    When that happens to me I take a deep breath, mutter a few choice words and treat the job as if I was starting the job from scratch. Now I'm not happy about this because it means going back and redoing everything I did before. In doing this you can't assume anything. EVERYTHING must be done again and done right.
    But nine times out of ten I'll run into something I missed. Perhaps I didn't run the snake out far enough. Maybe I missed a vent I should have gone down,
    Somewhere out there is the reason you have a backup, you know that it took most of a tub full of water before it backed up. This would indicate that the clog was out a ways. Why it comes and goes I don't know but if you find out let me in on it. If the tank hadn't been emptied I would say it was loading up with water and backing up. Then the drainfield took the water away until next time. But you say that's not the case. Go back and see if there isn't something you've missed. Good luck and keep me informed. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Sink Won't Drain - Venting Problems. [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings. I am having drainage problems in my kitchen sink. We just purchased this home, it is just around 100 years old. The kitchen sink does not drain, or technically, it drains extremely slowly (20 hours or so). The main stack is ancient iron pipe: see this image:...

Venting [ 1 Answers ]

How many fixtures can be tapped into the main vent? I have a 2" main vent.

Venting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , In the basement , there is a mechanical vent on a bathtub wich tells me its not vented by the main stack. Could the tub be changed to a shower stall. Also wich size drain should the shower stall be?

Venting Thanks [ 7 Answers ]

Spent last 3 hrs reading threads, trying to answer my questions. Thank you for this site! I am working on new construction. I would like to confirm some things I think I learned on this site. Please answer T/F. If False please fix me. 1 every fixture w/trap needs vented. EX tub lav toilet...

Tub Venting? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm rebuilding a 1920's bathroom from the floor joist and studs, the question I have is the 1 1/2" Tub Over Flow ties into the trap which then ties into a 3" stack with a 3x3x1-1/2" Sanitary Tee. Do I need to install a vent in for the tub if the trap is 12" away from the stack? ...

View more questions Search