Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jforce Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 05:30 AM
    Drywall hanging - J Bead
    I have a question for you drywall experts here.

I am finishing my basement. I will not be putting in a drop ceiling, rather, we have painted the ceiling - the joists, the HVAC, the plumbing, everything, with Dryfall black paint.

I intend to lay the drywall down so that I have the finished tapered edge up against the joists. What do you think about this? Would it be better to use j bead in this instance? I don't really want to look at j bead. I suppose I can use a wood trim PC to cover the j bead, but do you think I need to use j bead in this instance? I have no intention to have any cut drywall edges up against joists so I don't really see the reason for the j bead.

I was going to install the top PC first, push it up against the bottom of my painted joists, then install the lower PC. I will have to cut the lower PC as my wall is 7'6", so I can put the cut edge down with the usual gap between it and the concrete floor. Without the j bead, I suppose I might be able to see some of the very top of the butt joints and that could be an issue.

I would appreciate any comments. Thank you.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 2, 2008, 06:51 AM
    The only need for J-bead in this application would be your peace of mind. You will more than likely see the top edge once in a while. You will that is, I am sure no one else would notice, unless of coarse you pointed it out. TrimTex (and other companies I'm sure) make what they call a mud-able J-bead. It is a vinyl product for use in your application. Simply put it on as you go and it can be glued, stapled or screwed every so often to hold it in place. Simply mud it while you are taping the seams/joints and Wa-La you have it. Once you paint you will see no J-bead, just a nice crisp edge that looks square and professional. I hope this helps you.
    Mike

Mar 3, 2008, 02:57 PM
    I appreciate your answer. I have heard about muddable j bead. I have also seen L bead which is muddable. Based on your answer, I think I'll forgoe the j bead entirely. If it bugs me to see the seams I'll use a wood trim PC.

Thanks again
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 08:58 PM
    I agree with the1unv on this one and yes install your upper sheet first.
    arkeeteck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2010, 10:34 PM
    the1unv is correct. The most interesting way of doing this in a clean and crisp manner it so use the J-bead as noted. This will give a very modern and clean look. You do not see the bead as he said. In my opinion wood trim just looks clunky, and architraves are usually used to hid sloppy work at edges.

Jan 24, 2011, 09:19 AM
    Since someone actually posted an answer to this old question of mine, a couple years have passed now so let me update what happened. I am so glad that I changed my mind and went with the j-bead. Primarily because the floor joists were not all the same height (This is in my basement). So when I went to put the first sheet of drywall up against the floor joists, lo and behold, some were actually lower than others. I had assumed that since we were right on the foundation (half an inch off the concrete since I used 1/2" drywall), that they would all be the same height. But they are not! Rather than notching the drywall at the location of the low joists, I just pushed it up against the lowest one and maintained level. So the j-bead became the trim for the top of my wall and it looks just fine, painted the same color as the walls. I simply pulled the jbead up and took up the distance to the higher joists and its not at all noticeable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hanging heavy items on drywall over plaster? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I'm hanging a medicine cabinet in the bathroom. Do not know the weight but imagine it's no more than 40lbs when filled. Probably a conservative estimate. The walls are drywall over plaster. So basically I can't use an anchor meant for a hollow wall, but the first layer is not as...

Corner Bead [ 4 Answers ]

What type of corner bead would you recommend and why(metal, plastic, glue type)? Thanks, Gregg

Tiling corner bead [ 2 Answers ]

I have green board on the bathroom walls, and durarock on the floor and the entire shower. This is a new bathroom I am building. My question was should I put the paper corner bead on the corners which have durarock. These corners are the sides of my shower where my doors are going. If I use corner...

Tiling corner bead [ 2 Answers ]

I have new durarock and green board on my walls and floor on the outside corners should I put corner bead and mud before tiling or should I use thinset

Hanging drywall [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to hang drywall over wallpaper using only a liquid drywall adhesive. the studs are difficult to locate in our concrete/plaster mix as some walls are more than 3 inches thick. Thank you, hafanhaf

View more questions Search