Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mackeils Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2008, 07:03 PM
    Wiring diagram for ceing fan with light and remote?
    Ceiling fan with light and remote... no pull chains. I have three wires (red, black, white) from the house. On one side of the receiver, 2 wires (white, black)... on the other side of the receiver, 3 wires (white, black, blue). From the fan , 3 wires (white, black, blue). How do the wires match up? I have tried several combinations without success. How can I check to see if the remote is working?
    KCDave Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Mar 1, 2008, 11:28 PM
    Just curious, did you pop a breaker on any of those combinations :)

With the remote fan it only takes one power source for the fan and light. So, your black or red wire will connect to the black of the receiver. You need to determine the function of the red and black wire coming from the wall and make sure the right wire is hot when you turn on the switch. They may have gave you 2 wall switches, one for the fan and one for the light. Or, you may be connected to a 3 way.

The white black and blue from the receiver should match up with the white black and blue of the fan. Black for fan and blue for light.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 06:43 AM
    In addition to above, verify codes match on transmitter and receiver. If it has pull chains, verify they are pulled "On" and fan On High.

Mar 2, 2008, 02:57 PM
    As a matter of fact, I did, but one of the firemen who came knew something about the electrical panel. :)

I think I have narrower it down to the remote receiver not working. If I bypass the receiver, both the fan and the light work. I will figure out a way to test the remte receiver
    dakota110 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 03:24 PM
    I have installed one of those in my living room and after only four days took it back to where bought it. The unit kept turning itself on over night or it turned itself off when I wanted it on. Hope you have better luck. It must have been set to a common frequency and I live near an Air Force base, that may be a reason for the ghostly actions.

Anyway, if I remember right the black and white on the one side are for your house wires. On the other side the blue is for your fan and the black is for your lights. The white is for the common for both the fan and lights. You will need to keep the wall swith on at all times, that was another hard thing to get used to for me. And if you misplace your remote you will have to find it to turn on anything, but you can turn all off at the wall switch. Make sure you have batteries installed in your remote (I know it may sound ridiculous, but... )

Hope this helps

Mar 2, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Wait a second,

Did you say there are three wire from your house? A black, red and a white?

If so, do you have two switches on your wall? Or do you have two switches on two different walls?

You may have a switch for you light and a fan if you have two switches next to each other. Or you may have a three way switch if you have two switches on two different walls. Let me know what the case is. Each scenario may be need different resolution.

Mar 3, 2008, 09:12 PM
    Thanks for the input. I have two switches side by side... one for the fan... one for the light.

Mar 4, 2008, 05:48 AM
    I also remember the tiny toggle switches on the remote and receiver to match frequencies. I did not have to change them as all worked for me, but they needed to match up. They should be located in the battery compartment of the remote and on the side of the receiver.

Let me know how you like it once it is up and running.

Lee
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 06:43 AM
    Correction of above statement, Blue goes to Light, Black goes to Fan.
    Not changing code may cause neighbors remote to control yours, Change code to eleminate.
    Cap one of the wires at the ceiling, use 1 switch.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mackeils
    Ceiling fan with light and remote...no pull chains. I have three wires (red, black, white) from the house. On one side of the receiver, 2 wires (white, black)...on the other side of the receiver, 3 wires (white, black, blue). From the fan , 3 wires (white, black, blue). How do the wires match up? I have tried several combinations without success. How can I check to see if the remote is working?
    Correct wiring is:

2 wire side of receiver:

White to ceiling white
    Black to ceiling black OR red

3 wire side of receiver:

White to fan white
    Black to fan black
    Blue to fan blue

If this doesn't work, something is wrong with the receiver.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Mar 21, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota110
    I also remember the tiny toggle switches on the remote and receiver to match frequencies. I did not have to change them as all worked for me, but they needed to match up. They should be located in the battery compartment of the remote and on the side of the receiver.

Let me know how you like it once it is up and running.

Lee

I have it hooked up and it works great. The original problem was with the receiver, so I returned the remote and the receiver, and the store replaced them no problem. Then I followed your advice and all is good. Thanks for the assistance. Steve
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Glad you got it working.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling Fan - light works - no fan [ 2 Answers ]

After about 4 months of use, this began to happen. I would try to turn on the fan (either Low Med or High) and the fan would barely turn. Sometimes it would work - this lasted for about 5 days. Since then, if you try to turn on the fan, you get no response. Now, the light will still turn on...

Remote control ceiling fan wiring DIAGRAM [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I purchased a hampton bay ceiling fan with a remote control i wired to a single wall switch. The remote control works well but now the fan and lights only works with the remote. I will like to know if there is a configuration where i can use my wall switch to still turn on the light (which...

Wire up a ceiling fan with a remote,does anyone have a diagram for hamilton b [ 3 Answers ]

How do you wire up a ceiling fan with a reomote,does anyone have a diagram for hamilton bay or hunter ceiling fan that have a soundway remote?

York A/C Fan Wiring Diagram [ 1 Answers ]

I have a York A/C which has a viable speed fan motor. A room that is the furthest from the air handler is either cold in the winter or hor in the summer. I want to be certain the motor is connected for the highest speed. Where can I find the wiring diagram, or can someone submit it here. ...

Need the wiring diagram of my Hampton bay fan [ 3 Answers ]

I need the wiring diagram of my 3speed Hampton bay ceiling fan.

View more questions Search