Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gvliving Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Broken Toilet Vent Stack inside wall?
    We had a leak in our roof. The roofer said it occurred at the one of the exits for the vent stacks on the roof and fixed it. However, he "fixed" all the others. Right after he left I went to flush one of the toilets and it now sounds as if we are next to niagara falls.

The bathroom backs up to the dining room and previous to the roof fix the refilling of the toilet was virtually silent when you were in the dining room. Now the water rushing through the pipes is very very loud and embarrassing.

All I can think of is that he accidentally broke the vent stack for that toilet while pounding on the exit pipe on the roof.

Does this mean opening up the wall to fix? :confused: Or am I wrong about the vent stack being the cause. If it is a broken vent stack inside the wall is it safe to just let it go? Or will we eventually have a worse problem?:eek:

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 09:08 AM
    If the roofer broke the vent stack it will be an issue that can't be ignored unless you like the smell of sewage. Go into the attic and locate the stack, there may be several or they could all come together in what is called a revent. Grab the pipe nearest the attic floor and see if it moves at all. Have someone flush the toilets to see if one pipe is worse that the other, I don't think the roofer could break them all. If the vent is broken the repair will largely depend on where the break is located. Do some investigating and get back to us with what you find. Someone is always here.

Feb 29, 2008, 06:30 PM
    I have an appointment with the builder to investigate this problem next Tuesday. I'll post what came of it. Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm glad I found this site.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 1, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gvliving
    We had a leak in our roof. The roofer said it occurred at the one of the exits for the vent stacks on the roof and fixed it. However, he went ahead and "fixed" all the others. Right after he left I went to flush one of the toilets and it now sounds as if we are next to niagara falls.

The bathroom backs up to the dining room and previous to the roof fix the refilling of the toilet was virtually silent when you were in the dining room. Now the water rushing through the pipes is very very loud and embarrassing.

All I can think of is that he accidentally broke the vent stack for that toilet while pounding on the exit pipe on the roof.

Does this mean opening up the wall to fix?? :confused: Or am I wrong about the vent stack being the cause. If it is a broken vent stack inside the wall is it safe to just let it go? or will we eventually have a worse problem?:eek:

Thanks
    What sounds like "Niagara Falls" The flush going down the pipes or the water filling the tank? What are the vent pipes made of? It's hard to imagine the roofer breaking a vent pipe at the roof line but if he blocked your vent you would hear a "gurgle" from tha lavatory trap when you flushed or drained the tub. Until you can tell me more I can only think this might just be coincidence that the noise started with the roofer. Do you hear a "gurgle"? Please give us more details. Regards, Tom

Mar 4, 2008, 11:18 AM
    :) Good news! The builder came over with the plumber. It was as you say, just a coincidence that the "rushing" water sound occurred right after the roofer banged on the vent stacks.

It was the valve inside the toilet. The plumber put a new one in and the noise is gone.

What a relief.

This is a great site and I really thank you for your replies and interest. I sort of feel stupid but there was no noise before the roofer set foot on the roof and there was right after he left. I guess it's a part of Murphy's Law thing going on.

Thanks again,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vent stack [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I think we have a leak in the main stack,there is water at the bottom of it and it smells like toilet water. Can this be fixed or do I have to have a new one installed, and is it expensive

NO vent stack [ 1 Answers ]

I have a five year old house. After years of listening to the bubbling gurgling toilet and banging pipes when the toilet is flushed, we looked and found NO vent stack. (We have several other code violations as well) IS there any way we can remedy this without ripping up floors and walls or do we...

No vent stack? [ 3 Answers ]

I recently purchased an old house and the toilet drains slow and bubbles. I cannot locate any plumbing venting at all. The plumbing is all located within 4 ft of the main drain going out through the basement wall, with the kitchen sink, bath sink, tub all connecting to the toilet line then out...

Basement toilet vent stack [ 1 Answers ]

I am putting a toilet, shower and sink in my basement, on an outside wall. We are on a septic system and I am chosing to use a collection tank and ejector sewage pump. How do I vent this system? Can I just go out through the joist headers? There is no stack remotely close that goes to the roof that...

Another Vent Stack Question [ 1 Answers ]

I have a vent that runs from my middle floor bath to the roof. From the bathroom it runs down into the basement level garage and into the slab with a cleanout before entering the slab floor. The only items that drain into the line are a toilet and sink. The shower has its own drain and vent. ...

View more questions Search