Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amelian64 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Garage Door Opener has rubber burning smell when opened & Closed
    I have an Allister Access 3000 1/3 HP series garage door opener. I noticed a sort of a rubber burning smell when opening and closing the door. It is a pretty strong odor. When flipping through the assembly & installation guide, it does not show the motor as having any belts (the door control is chain driven).

Any thoughts on what this could be?

Thanks,
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Some have plastic gears that wear out. Have seen really bad one with a pile of white shreaded gear below the gear. With power off take a look.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Yep, that's what happens. Had to replace the wife's side a couple of months age, now my side is gone. Got to get a round tuit one day.
    amelian64 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2008, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amelian64
    I have an Allister Access 3000 1/3 HP series garage door opener. I noticed a sort of a rubber burning smell when opening and closing the door. It is a pretty strong odor. When flipping through the assembly & installation guide, it does not show the motor as having any belts (the door control is chain driven).

Any thoughts on what this could be?

Thanks,
    Thanks. I'll check that out. Thanks for the quick response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage Door opener [ 2 Answers ]

My car windows roll down every time I park my car in the garage. The car does not have this problem anywhere else. It is running down my battery and I just had to get a new car battery. Does anyone know what could be causing this? It did not use to do it. :)

How do I turn light on in garage when door is opened? [ 1 Answers ]

My Genie garage door opener is old and the circuit board that controls the light coming on and going off has gone bad. So while the door opens and closes just fine, The two light bulbs do not light. I checked around and they are not making the circuit board that I need which is 27504R, is not...

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

Garage Door Opened On It's Own [ 2 Answers ]

I have a quick question about my garage opener. I was sitting home yesterday when I heard my garage open on it's own. I went down stairs no one was there and I did not see anyone on the street. I guess my question is should I be worried? Was this some random thing or was someone driving by...

View more questions Search