Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zhao2vic Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Useful Life
    Which depreciation method does not take into consideration of the useful life?
    A) Straight-line
    B) Double-declining
    C) Units of production
    D) Sum of years digit
    E) No answer
    I think the ans should be E although the ans given is C because useful life can be in the form of unit time or unit of output, isn't it?
    Thx!:)
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 10:56 PM
    Useful life is a set number of years. A unit of output isn't the same thing. That's based on actual usage, and you'll depreciate each year based on usage, until your book value reaches the residual value. It doesn't matter how many years it is.

Feb 29, 2008, 09:55 PM
    Thx. But my text book stated that the useful life is an estimation of a fixed asset that can be used to provide benefits for a particular period based on years or based on activities on how it's being used. It can be in the form of unit time or unit of ouutput
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 06:09 PM
    I cannot read that yellow stuff AT ALL. Can you please use quotes, italics, bold, something. Yellow on white is not legible.

Mar 4, 2008, 10:39 PM
    Thx. But my text book stated that the useful life is an estimation of a fixed asset that can be used to provide benefits for a particular period based on years or based on activities on how it's being used. It can be in the form of unit time or unit of output.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 10:54 PM
    Honestly, I have no idea. It's like they're saying output is its life, which I guess it sort of is, but that's not what we generally mean with the term "useful life" -- we mean years. You could estimate a useful life and still do units. i.e. you think it's 100,000 machine hours and you also think that'll take about 9 years. But you don't actually use the 9 years when figuring the depreciation. Hence, their answer of C. Which sounds like a conflict with what they stated in the text.

To do units of production, you're taking depreciable cost and dividing by estimated output. That gives you a rate per output. Then at year-end, you take the actual output times that rate and that gives you depreciation for the current year. Useful life is nowhere in those equations.

Mar 10, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Yea. I'm backing u! Thx!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life in heaven or life on earth? [ 21 Answers ]

Given a choice of living forever in perfect health on a paradise earth or living forever in heaven as a spirit, which would you choose?

How is this life? [ 10 Answers ]

Every day is the same. I feel like I am trapped in a corner. This world is pushing me into a dark corner. Pushing me into somewere I don't want to be. Pushing me into something I do not want to do. School, Parents, Friends, Loved ones, Working, money, drugs, alcohol, and the future. All of these...

My life [ 1 Answers ]

Please tell me if you see any major changes coming my way In my love life

Life [ 6 Answers ]

Hi just to start by saying I haven't been on here for a while which is also due to me moving etc because I had to :mad: and at the moment I actually hate life. I feel really depressed and have cut myself off from my friends. Even some really close friends I can't speak too and they try and help...

Now all I think about is a life with her [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first post.

View more questions Search