Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Midnight_Angel Posts: 79, Reputation: 3

Feb 26, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Kittens born last night
    Hi!!! My cat just gave birth to 4 beautiful babies last night but I am unsure of how to take care of them.... my main question is how can I be sure she is feeding them and should I avoid contact with them so she doesnt abandon them and should I keep the male (recently neutered) away from them??? Speedy response MUCH appreaciated
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2008, 10:54 PM
    The mother cat should know how to take care of them without your intervention. You'll know she's feeding them cause they'll be hanging onto her nipples often enough that you'll certainly see it.

And they aren't birds. A cat shouldn't abandon kittens cause humans touched them. However, you really never know how a mother animal will react to something. So I'd approach it all carefully and see how she reacts, see if she seems overly protective, etc. Then you'll feel more comfortable how to proceed.

Don't know about the male.

However, as soon as is practical, I'd have the mother spayed. There's already so many unwanted cats around that we don't need to add to the population.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 10:57 PM
    Be on the safe side and keep your male away from them or rather do not alolow him to be alone with them. Try not to touch them often esp in the first week or so, you don't want her moving them from place to place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is male cat harmful to new born kittens [ 8 Answers ]

I have a female cat giving birth as I type, we also have a male cat from her last litter which are still kittens 6 months old, what I'm worried about is if I should keep the male kitten away from the new born kittens or will he be OK around them.

Have you been born again? [ 8 Answers ]

I find that what people mean by “born again” is not always the same. Would you tell me what it means to you?

Can I claim my new born child that was born on January 2008 [ 3 Answers ]

Can I claim my new born child born in January 2008 on my 2007 taxes?

View more questions Search