Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zich2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 12:05 PM
    House made family sick
    We are trying to find someone to help us. We rented a house in Concord, NC that ended up being the reason we were all getting sick. My son had severe asthma attacks. The doctor and us finally put 2 and 2 together and realized where the problem was coming from. We notified our leasing company numerous times and they shrugged us off. We gave notice and broke our lease because it became dangerous for our son to remain in the house. They are now refusing to give us our security deposit back and are charging us for repainting that we already did. We feel we should take them to court so that we can get our security deposit back, our medical and prescription bills paid and now for the torture our son had to endure just trying to breath in the house. We had other illnesses that have completely gone away since we moved also. Can someone please direct us to someone who can help us, personal injury lawyers keep telling us they can't help and we don't know where else to go.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Did you have inspection done? If you don't then I don't think you have a leg to stand on. If you do and it found something to cause your son's condition then sue the pants off them.
    zich2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 01:54 PM
    We rented the house not purchased so we didn't need a home inspection.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2008, 04:04 PM
    No I don't mean a buyer's inspection, I meant a air quality inspection. Without that you have no proof that it was the house. The landlord could have gone in and cleaned up the place and then had an inspection done showing no problem.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Scott is right about the inspection being done. You won't get very far trying to prove the house was the problem of your medical problems now since you have moved out. The doctor's records CAN help but the defense can deny the house was the problem and the doctor cured your problems. Just be happy you are out of that house. I had to leave a perfectly good job due to the sick building syndrone making me ill. Only when I was out of that office for 2 weeks did my medical problems go away permanently. Good luck if you do end up suing them. If you have enough documentation do contact an attorney and see what they think.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Something in house making wife sick [ 8 Answers ]

Hi My wife thinks something in the house is making her sick. We have lived here about a year and a half. She has been sick a lot with flu like symptoms, and has seen the doctor many times, but without results. She will take antibiotics and get feeling better for a while and then get sick again....

How to Convert a single family house to a legal 4 family house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all I am looking to convert my singly family home to a legal 4 family house so as to rent out all 4 units and get some income. How to do I go about getting all the information and permission for the same? Thanks

Walmart messed up my daughters medicine and made her sick! [ 33 Answers ]

Two days ago I took my daughter to the doctor for a very painful earache. The doctor gave me a prescription of Ceftin. I took it to walmart to have it filled. When I got home the medicine was so thick, that I had to take a straw and scrape it out of the bottle and put it into a measuring spoon and...

Asking family member to move out of my house [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I live in the Bay Area, California and need to get my wife's over 18 year old son out of my house. He has never paid rent or helped out with anything. I need to sell the home and thus he needs to leave. He cannot go where I am moving to. Since he is a Lodger? can't I just tell him to...

2 family house [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend is currently renting 1/2 of a two family house. The hot water heater meter and the eletric and gas meter are shared between the two tenants. Is this legal? He is 1 person who works a 12 hour job 6 days a week and the people in the back of the house are 2 people who don't work at all...

View more questions Search