Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gardengate2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 04:13 AM
    giving back the home to bank
    What is the best process to give back the home to the lender when we can not qualify for a reduced interest rate . State of Florida

Our home initially estamated at 180K now 3 years later due to real estate conditions has valued at 120k and the lender will not refinance. We can no longer make payments
    wags Posts: 80, Reputation: 4

Feb 26, 2008, 04:37 AM
    You don't just "give it back" to the bank. If the bank does take over the home, you will still be on the hook for any shortfall. If you owe $170,000 and they sell it for $120,000 you still owe the balance of $50,000 plus additional costs. You purchased the home, not the bank. Tis you that has to suffer the consequence of making a bad decision. I would try to stick it out to save your credit rating. Why did you take an ARM when fixed rates were very low?
    lfaulkner Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gardengate2
    What is the best process to give back the home to the lender when we can not qualify for a reduced interest rate . State of Florida

Our home initially estamated at 180K now 3 years later due to real estate conditions has valued at 120k and the lender will not refinance. We can no longer make payments
    Are you in an adjustable rate Wags? There are Gov programs that may be able to help.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 07:51 AM
    As stated above, this isn't the way it works. If you don't pay, the bank will foreclose; this will take some time. Your best course is to continue making payments and keep your part of the American dream unless your plans have changed. Otherwise, you will most likely wind up filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
    lfaulkner Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 08:09 AM
    My apologizes I responded to Wags and I meant it to Gardengate2. Bad morning!
    gardengate2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 06:03 PM
    The mortgage rate qualified for was around 8.9% fixed through HFC - the only lender willing to help us, & they said in 6month to a year they would re-evalute our payment hx & offer us a lower fixed rate.. Thus far they have not & payments were faithfully made.

The sad part is that we really tried to improve the house will tile, granite & marble. Fenced in the yard etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving your house back to the bank [ 6 Answers ]

Help! I made a bad investment in a place that is going nowhere. If I give my house back to the bank, will it affect my credit? :eek:

Selling home back to bank [ 1 Answers ]

I owe more on my mortgage than I can expect to get if I put it up for sale and it actually sells. My mortgage is too high for me to continue to pay. I don't want to foreclose, but I can't make any more payments. I want to deed it back to the bank. I need to know the process and how long it...

Giving my house back to the bank [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a home one year ago that has already depreciated. I am very unhappy with the area and want out of my home. Selling is out of the question. I would like to hand the house back to the bank. I also have two mortgages, one of which is home equity. What happens to that loan? Do I have any other...

Giving back home to the bank [ 3 Answers ]

How can I give back my to the bank If I cannot make the payments.

Voluntary giving your house back to the bank [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the nature of voluntary repo of a home. Can you let me know what would happen if I can no longer afford my mortgage and opt not to refinance because the mortgage would still be too high since I've had a death in family 5 months ago and I no longer have any assistance with my...

View more questions Search