Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorLy
    As a person living in California, it seems as if many people (not all, of course) who are raised and live in the Southern states of the US are still ignorant
    I live in Tennessee. Never having been to California, it is the opinion of some of us ignorant southerners that people from California are liberal democrats that care about nothing more than beauty (silicone implant), hugging trees or bunnies, and money.

Now, see how ridiculous and ignorant that sounds? Your post above was just as ignorant about southerners as this one is about Californians.

No, I don't believe people in Cali are like this, but I'm just trying to show you what ignorance really is.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 03:09 PM
    I have lived in California, Florida, North Carolina and Kentucky.

There are ignorant people EVERYWHERE. It is not limited to one state, or country for that matter. Ignorance does not come from a certain place, it comes from each person.

**EDIT** -- I meant, ignorance comes from each person who produces it. Sorry, I got a little keyboard happy and didn't finish my sentence. :p
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Mar 6, 2008, 04:51 PM
    This thread is informative to all of us. There is basically no difference in us that is the result of where we were born or live.

A short comment only slightly off subject. Ignorance is cured by information, but stupidity is terminal.
    darhe3425 Posts: 57, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2008, 05:59 PM
    I'm not into defending positions, per se, but why is this not a legitimate question? Many people believe (although VictorLy worded it impolitely) believe that Southerners are ignorant. Not just some, but most. Where did this idea come from? Why shouldn't it be asked, without some real effort to answer without ostracizing the questioner? Why this bandwagon style of hushing the asker? He may have worded it differently than what is considered PC, but it is still a question, he says, for nothing other than mere research, why not give an answer that suffices? Southerners are often considered ignorant by their peer states, and this perception came from somewhere. Where? Why? When?
    I don't believe most southerners are ignorant, but it is a stereotype that has stood the test of time, why?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Yes, it is merely an impression people have of others in general.

All of what nationality normally handle money better ?

All of what nationality each watermelon and fried chicken?

All of what nationality normally belongs to organised crime,

Get the idea it is issued like trailer trash, or project moms and so on,
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by darhe3425
    I'm not into defending positions, per se, but why is this not a legitimate question? Many people believe (although VictorLy worded it impolitely) believe that Southerners are ignorant. Not just some, but most. Where did this idea come from? Why shouldn't it be asked, without some real effort to answer without ostracizing the questioner? Why this bandwagon style of hushing the asker? He may have worded it differently than what is considered PC, but it is still a question, he says, for nothing other than mere research, why not give an answer that suffices? Southerners are often considered ignorant by their peer states, and this perception came from somewhere. Where? Why? When?
    I don't believe most southerners are ignorant, but it is a stereotype that has stood the test of time, why?
    It is simply a characterization used by the 'elites' to put-down their perceived rivals. Does anyone say John Edwards is ignorant? No. Did anyone say Bill Clinton was ignorant? No They were the fair-headed children of the liberal/fascist media elites who want to promote their own. But, George Bush? He can't even talk, so say the elites. Want to talk about stupid? Try Jimmy Carter: a walking, talking nice guy who is naïve to a fault. But he was protected and promoted by the media, just as Obama is today. They will not criticize their own, but always use the South and southerners for convenient whipping boys.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Southern Extinction (short story) by Terry L Vinson on AuthorsDen

Here is a link to an interesting story about what might happen to the southern culture that might be of interest to someone reading this thread.
    mimi03 Posts: 201, Reputation: 45

Mar 12, 2008, 12:25 PM
    I agree that the media does portray a very negative and slightly ignorant image of people in the south, having said that I even agree with some of the opinions that may be aroused by these stereotypes. I have lived in the south my entire life and feel that a majority of people I know and have met who were also raised here are very conservative, closed minded and obnoxiously religious, this is my opinion of most but certainly not ALL.

Just as easy as it is for me to ascribe those stereotypes to the people of the region I am familiar with, I am sure it is just as easy for others to do in all parts of the country and world for that matter. The important thing to remember is that although a person may grow up in a certain part of the country does not mean they are the same as everyone else there, that's just ridiculous at best!

Mar 13, 2008, 02:36 AM
    A stereotype may survive over time because it is a generalization about a group of persons that has some ring of truth to it, but we may conveniently apply it to all to make ourselves feel better as it gives us a reason to try to see ourselves as different. Do all people in that group eat watermelon? Do all people in that group involve themselves in organized crime? I thought Jimmy Carter was one of the greatest presidents we ever had! Who are the people that handle money the best? All of them? No. And George Bush, not being the brightest crayon in the box, reinforces the southern stereotype of ALL of them being ignorant. Which is not true,. the stereotype.
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2008, 09:44 AM
    I like to disagree in an agreeable manner. Darhe3425 writes: "I thought Jimmy Carter was one of the greatest presidents we ever had!" Now, I believe Carter to be a likable guy and might make a good neighbor. And I respect your opinion, but why? Carter made a mess of the government of Georgia, in the name of 'reorganization'; he left the state government a bigger mess than he found it. He should never have been governor of Georgia, much less POTUS. Just recall the idiocy of 'boycotting' the olympics, and the effeteness of the U.S. military in Iran, not to mention the chaos he left the region with the downfall of the Shah of Iran.

Mar 13, 2008, 10:47 AM
    What about the rest of what I said? I still think Carter was a great president though, maybe just because I think he maintained his humanity, where many other presidents became, demigods in their own minds and in many of ours. If anything is ever a mess, it certainly cannot be the fault of one person, must be all of those who helped, or did nothing.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Apr 6, 2008, 01:03 PM
    You may not like GW Bush, but ignorant he ain't.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

May 12, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Hello, I hope you are doing well. Please, let me explain the topic of this thread before I get attacked.

As a person living in California, it seems as if many people (not all, of course) who are raised and live in the Southern states of the US are still ignorant when it comes to a variety of issues, even though it is approximately a century and a half since the American Civil War. I am looking for an unbiased answer to this, because I really do not know much about the south and am really interested in finding out. This will be a starting point for much more research that I will conduct on my own.

Thank you.
    Only truly ignorant person would attempt to solicit "unbiased" feedback by asking such a judgmental question. California represents 13% of the US population. I contend that there are more ignorant people in California than in all of the deep South.
    VictorLy Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

May 12, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyFairmount
    Only truly ignorant person would attempt to solicit "unbiased" feedback by asking such a judgmental question. California represents 13% of the US population. I contend that there are more ignorant people in California than in all of the deep South.
    Hello, I clarified my question the same day I asked it; scroll down two questions to see what I wrote. For convenience's sake, here's part of it:
    The idea that people in the south aren't too intelligent is all over today's media, especially in slapstick movies made for teenagers. I really, really hate these types of stereotypes (I do not like stereotypes to begin with), and decided to look into how this stereotype started.
    The question was not supposed to be judgmental. I do admit that the way I asked it, without giving any background information about the words I used and why I was even asking it, may be interpreted in the wrong way, and I apologize for that. My main reason for asking the question was more about why the south is perceived like that by so many (e.g. media, stereotypes), and it was not my personal idea. I pointed out that I live in California not because I said California is better, but because that's the only state I really know, so I thought a more general perspective of forum members would help.

Thank you.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Hello, I clarified my question the exact same day I asked it; scroll down two questions to see what I wrote. For convenience's sake, here's part of it:

The question was not supposed to be judgmental. I do admit that the way I asked it, without giving any background information about the words I used and why I was even asking it, may be interpreted in the wrong way, and I apologize for that. My main reason for asking the question was more about why the south is perceived like that by so many (e.g. media, stereotypes), and it was not my personal idea. I pointed out that I live in California not because I said California is better, but because that's the only state I really know, so I thought a more general perspective of forum members would help.

Thank you.
    There is a reason for why this type of stereotyping is done; it is a psychological or sociological, and above me. But, just as "birds of a feather flock together", people get into cliques or groups and instantly deride those in another group. Why did the majority of New Yorkers coronate Hillary Clinton as their U.S. senator? Why are the majority of folks in Massachusetts so darn liberal that they will not vote-out Ted Kennedy? And they make fun of folks in the South? It sounds personal, but I don't believe it is; it is a way of polishing-up one's image or group's image.
    purplewings Posts: 145, Reputation: 24

May 21, 2008, 11:55 AM
    I don't think it's about the south, north, east or west but simply about being rural or urban raised. Small town people tend to stick together and try to keep their values the same as that of their parents and grandparents. They don't welcome great changes but prefer to stick with what they know well. That doesn't make them ignorant at all - it's simply a matter of choice, and secluded areas can pattern their lives this way.

In larger areas we are touched by much more activity and must become involved to some extent for safety purposes, among other reasons. We hear the news repeatedly and discuss shocking events with our friends, associates, and family and walk away with a variety of viewpoints to think about. We know that we need to open up to change - even though most people don't welcome too much change into their lives - it is about growing spiritually and emotionally.

Rural people hear of these things, so they are not ignorant to the world around them - they simply are not pushed into change.

I really dislike the word "ignorant" even though I understand it's meaning. Over the years it's been hurled at people in anger to make them appear mindless. I think uninformed is a much nicer way to discuss it all.
    Kat18 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Having lived in the south for most of my life I have come to realize that the southern steriotype is just as appealing to some as "goth" or "jock" or any other label one might give themselves. I've known many people who in fact do not live on farms or have the lifestyle of a southern badass, like they try and make themselves come across to be. In some cases its just as much a social strategy as it is a lifestyle one might live.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 12, 2008, 12:01 PM
    "I looked into issues such as racism, and statistics show that racism is higher in the south than anywhere else in the United States."

Which statistics? Studies show that racism is alive and well in every area of the country. It may be more overt in the 'South' but being sly about it doesn't reduce its negativity.

"Another topic that comes to mind now is gun control, and laws in the south are more lax, with many in its population who are more pro-gun than most other people in the United States."

For part of the answer, look to one of the causes of the Civil War - states' rights. In addition, many of those who settled in the South were like the Scots and Scots-Irish who dominated early western VA. Proud and self-sufficient, also very religious. Maintaining possession of their firearms was crucial for food and protection - and for many, still is. Combine a distrust with central govts and you have a pop that will keep their guns thank you very much...
    Kezdet Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Hello, I hope you are doing well. Please, let me explain the topic of this thread before I get attacked.

As a person living in California, it seems as if many people (not all, of course) who are raised and live in the Southern states of the US are still ignorant when it comes to a variety of issues, even though it is approximately a century and a half since the American Civil War. I am looking for an unbiased answer to this, because I really do not know much about the south and am really interested in finding out. This will be a starting point for much more research that I will conduct on my own.

Thank you.

I was raised in AK and then later in TX and from personal experience the southern states are actually a lot less intelligent than the northern states.

Now yes there that's the majority, but you always also have the minority.

But I base this statement on from what I've seen and from school systems.
    In AK I Learned a lot in school. But when I moved to TX it took 3-5 more years more for the TX school systems to catch up to what I already was taught in AK and then even longer to start teaching me anything New.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 14, 2008, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    You may not like GW Bush, but ignorant he ain't.

He certainly does a damn good job of hiding his intelligence...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

South Park [ 2 Answers ]

What town in Colorado inspired the fictional town of South Park?

I do NOT want to get pregnant & I'm totally ignorant about pregnency and dates. [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I am 23 years old girl.Its been 5- 6 months I got into a relationship and in Jan we ended up making love.I am totally new to this and have no idea about sex or dates or anything at all.My boyfriend says he has some knowledge but I am not at all confident about his knowledge.By now we would...

Suffering Again.am I really this ignorant? [ 76 Answers ]

Ok... so I'm back. I have been on the boards browsing this whole time, but haven't really posted, but here I am again. Long story short... had a boyfriend... for about 9 months, he said he needed a break. We broke up and I thought I would die. I suffered and made myself and everyone around me...

Ignorant Anthropologists? Or Political Correctness? [ 15 Answers ]

I have great respect for the science of anthropology but recently I came across two representations which made me question both motives and the qualifications of those anthropologists who were involved. First, there was a documentary concerning the Taino Indians of the Caribbean. I began watching...

View more questions Search