Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kungpow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 01:45 PM
    On my mind.
    So this has been on my mind for a while, I am the father on my daughters birth certificate and have been soul supporter of her since day one. My daughter is now one and a half and I got with my fiancée when she was about four months pragnet with her. My question is if I have been dad in every way but being the sperm donor, what rights would I have if the sperm donor ever did come back in the picture, however not likely.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 21, 2008, 02:19 PM
    The name on the birth certificate, is the presumed father, until someone can prove otherwise, and only a court can change that, with ample evidence, most notably a DNA test.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 02:51 PM
    I highly doubt a sperm donor will come forward in this case. Why would your fiancée use a sperm donor in the first place. I am skeptical of this statement.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2008, 03:56 PM
    I doubt anyone will come forward, but basically you committed fraud when you knew you were not the father but signed anyway. In some states in the US after an amount of time there can not be a challenge. But in some states 10 years from now the real father can come and prove in court with DNA that he is the father and get visit rights. Also remember that if you divorce latter you will also be paying child support for a child that is not yours.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    I highly doubt a sperm donor will come forward in this case. Why would your fiancee use a sperm donor in the first place. I am skeptical of this statement.
    I think the OP is not meaning an acutal sperm donor from an anyomous person, rather a deadbeat dad who hasn't been involved in the child's life at all and his only contribution was his sperm to make the child. Many people call such "fathers" sperm donors.

To the OP:

As stated, since you are on the birth certificate you are legally the father. The bio father would have to come forth and challenge you and would have to pay for a paternity test for the child.
    If that were to happen and he is proved to be the father, then it would be up to the courts to decide what is in the best interest of the child... wethere to terminate the rights of the bio father for abandonment (which is usually 1 year without contact or support) and allow you to adopt, or whether to give the bio father all his parental rights.

Since you are on the birth certificate, the bio father would have a lot of leg work to do, and it would cost some money to challenge you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2008, 05:26 PM
    But you have a hard choice also, about telling the child the truth as they grow up. It would be hard for them to learn this 40 years latter when some medical need comes up. Or some man comes up when she is 17 and claims to be her father.

This is hard call, I am not saying to do this or that, but it is something to think about, we get people here both sides, some hate their "parents" when they find out they were lied to all those years, and so on.
    kungpow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    I highly doubt a sperm donor will come forward in this case. Why would your fiancee use a sperm donor in the first place. I am skeptical of this statement.
    By sperm donor mean the paternal father. This man was with her for a short time got her knocked up and then left. Sorry for the confusion.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 12:05 PM
    If your name is on the birth certificate then you are the legal father and have all of the corresponding rights and responsibilities. If the "sperm donor" were to return it's not unlikely that he'd get very far if in fact you've been a stable father figure in her life from birth.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    But in some states 10 years from now the real father can come and prove in court with DNA that he is the father and get visit rights. Also remember that if you divorce latter you will also be paying child support for a child that is not yours.
    Not only visit rights but legal custody,too./Maine for an example/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Going out of my mind! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I need some help finding the name of a song I just don't know. I heard it awhile ago, it had something to do with "if you had to walk in their shoes", some one was a prostitute or a drug addict. I am not sure who sings this song or what the title is but I am sure it was a make singer. It had a...

Can't get her off my mind [ 5 Answers ]

Many of you have read this earlier in different strings but I can't get her off my mind. I met the most amazing woman 15 years ago but our lives were on different paths. There was a definite chemistry between us. However we never got together. Recently after a painful divorce for me and the...

Can't get her out of my mind [ 5 Answers ]

I've been with my ex for 4 years. And we have been broke up for 4 months, I can't get her off my mind, I've been keeping busy working and when I'm not at work I do all that I can to keep busy, but she will pop in to my head and stay for a while. Part of me still loves her and the other part hates...

Tv mind of its own [ 2 Answers ]

My 27" panasonic crt TV turns off no rhyme or reason it could be 15 minutes. It could be 2 hours I unplug power count to 5 and push power button and it comes back on it's 7 years old

Can't take him out of my mind. [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all.. I got a problem. I am in love with this guy for almost 2 years now. We love each other. There has been many ups and downs, break ups and patch ups like any other realtion. I am 19 and he is 20 just to let you know. I have been very harsh on him before for giving him no care and ignoring...

View more questions Search