Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    powrus Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Feb 20, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Hardwood Finish
    New floors are sanded and two coats of Oil-Modified Polyurethane (satin) applied. I've run out of Polyurethane for my final coat. Unable to find the same Brand Name product locally, will any quality oil base polyurethane work for my finish coat?

Lowe's / Menard's sells a Minwax product for around $25 gal. and a local paint store sells their product for around $40 gal. (name forgotten)
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Feb 20, 2008, 05:50 PM
    If your previous coat has cured all the way, you will need to just lightly sand that coat before appling another so its bonds properly. Don't forget to tack cloth all sanding particles away first.

Feb 21, 2008, 04:20 AM
    Thanks for the info.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 04:26 AM
    I just want to add, that the Minwax oil base polyurethane should work just fine over another oil-based finish.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 08:34 AM
    In hindsight, for a multiple coat system, your better off applying a gloss version for the base coat/coats depending on the number. It improves the appearance.

Feb 21, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. All good information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardwood Floors [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone here has installed a Hardwood Floor over concrete ? I have done them over wood, but never over concrete and I am looking for any inout/experience on this matter. Thanks

Hardwood flooring [ 5 Answers ]

we have been in the process of remodeling certain parts of our home. we would like actual hardwood, however, the price has kinda discouraged me in doing such. We have come across some hardwood that we like. its the kind you snap in place...? anyway, to get to my point, does anyone know the...

Hardwood Floors [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have carpet installed in all of my rooms except the kitchen. I know that we have hardwood floors under the carpet. I would like to convert to hardwood floors. Could you tell me the procedure for sanding and refinishing hardwood floors? In addition, an area of my den floor is warped...

It's not where you start, it's where you finish and I'm going to finish on top. [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone help me find the name of the song and lyrics to the song that has the line... "It's not where you start, it's where you finish and I'm going to finish on top." It came from a show, possibly Barnum? Thanks David

Hardwood floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm taking up carpet form old hardwood floor and going to put new hardwood floor next to the old, there is about 1/2 inch difference in height what kind of transition do I need between the old and new.

View more questions Search