Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bskinner57 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Jan 24, 2006, 06:54 AM
    Sewer problems
    Ok, iv"e asked a few questions here and still can't figure my problem out. So here is the whole story. Replaced old cast sewer line in house, cleaned the roof vent line to make sure it is open. When you let water out out upstairs tub, the toilet in that room and on the floor below blow bubbles and the one below backs up.After a bit(10 15 min) the toilet drains back out. We replaced the line because it was decyed and open in areas, we never had flushing or draining problems before we replaced the line. I wonder if the vent line is too small diameter for the new sewer line.. Thanks for any help
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 24, 2006, 07:15 AM
    Hey BS,
    Bubbles and backups are not a sign of a venting problem. It's a sign of a blockage. The fact that the toilet eventually drains indicates a partial blockage. Septic tank or city sewer? Rent a commercial sewer machine, (a Ridged K-60 comes to mind) and snake the sewer main downstream from where the toilet backed up. To check where to snake from I would fulus until I saw bubbles or a back up and open op the sewer clean out just outside the house. If the line's full of water then the stoppage is in that line and that's where to start. Good luck, Tom

Jan 24, 2006, 08:19 AM
    Tom, we have a septic tank, am going to open tank and get it pumped out. Then will see if that ends problem. If not plan to pull the downstairs topilet and run a power auger through line out to tank. Thanks
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 24, 2006, 09:36 AM
    "plan to pull the downstairs topilet and run a power auger thru line out to tank."

Don't pull the toilet. Go in through the outside clean out. Pulling the stool and snaking from the bathroom is dirty, messy and unnecessary. Regards, tom

Jan 24, 2006, 09:48 AM
    Tom there is no clean out down stairs.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2006, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bskinner57
    Tom there is no clean out down stairs.
    By code we are mandated to install a clean out on the sewer line, brought to grade and not over 18" from the house foundation.
    This is located where the sewer exits the house. It may be under a few inches of dirt but if you probe around the side of the house the septic tank's located I'm certain you'll find it. Pulling a toilet is a hassle you don't need when there's a clean out handy. Good luck, Tom

Jan 26, 2006, 09:22 AM
    Apparently these codes weren't in effect in 1920 when my house was built, I can find no cleanout. The previous owner knows of no clean out either.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2006, 04:58 PM
    Apparently these codes werent in effect in 1920 when my house was built, i can find no cleanout. The previous owner knows of no clean out either.
    My fault, I only go back plumbingwise to the 40's. If this were my call I would see if there was a roof vent I could come down. Only as a last resort would I pull the toilet and snake through the closet bend. Regards, Tom

Jan 27, 2006, 08:46 AM
    Tom, got the tank pumped, it was full. Also there was an obstruction between the house and the tank, We went in from the tank side and opened it up.. Everything working fine now.. Except I need to replace 2 sections of the lid. Will do that asap. Thanks for the help!

Feb 20, 2006, 06:45 AM
    Tom, just to keep you up dated. Line from the house to the tank was plugged.Ran auger in from the tank to the house, got a slug out of the line. Will keep an eye on it for a few days to see if problem is completely gone. Also going to replace the line from the house to the tank,as it is old cast iron, and also put a cleanout inline to make it easier in the future. Thanks for all your help..
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 20, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Tom, just to keep you up dated. Line from the house to the tank was plugged.Ran auger in from the tank to the house, got a slug out of the line. Will keep an eye on it for a few days to see if problem is completely gone. Also going to replace the line from the house to the tank,as it is old cast iron, and also put a cleanout inline to make it easier in the future. Thanks for all your help..
    Thanks Skinner,
    We always like to hear a happy ending. If we can ever be of service again just call on us. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer oder [ 12 Answers ]

I have not submitted a question here before but found such useful information I thought I'd give it a try. We have a new home that we moved into 2 months ago and have run up against a very puzzling problem. We have had a bad, intermittent sewage odor at the front of the house since prior to...

Sewer Gas Odors [ 1 Answers ]

We had our drain field replaced last year and have noticed sewer gas smells when we walk around the outside of the house. I think the smells are coming from the roof vents. We never had the problem before, The drainfield was replaced because of saturation and did backup once into the basement. Any...

Sewer hook up [ 4 Answers ]

I am presently on a septic system. Thanks to a new housing development I now have a sewer line 45 feet from the house. I got the permit and have taken care of the impact fees. I know there is a min. slope when installing sewer drain but I was wandering if you can have too much slope. With my house...

Sewer Odor [ 4 Answers ]

I've had a sewer odor from all three toliets in my 2 year old house for about 1 1/2 yrs now. We are on public sewer and the builder is stumped (he hasn't however, been in the house to smell for himself) It seems to get worse when it rains... any suggestions? I'm concerned that my 5 year old son is...

Sewer Problems [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 50 year old, one story house, no basement that I bought three years ago. The last two years I have had to have the sewer line cleaned out and the plumbers have not found a cleanout, so they go down through the vent (which costs me $280 each time). They say it is tree roots. OK. This...

View more questions Search