Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjf12000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Bad odor coming from the basement
    I have this house built back in 1957 or so and getting this bad odor coming from our basement. Can not tell if it a dead animal, a sewage gas smell, or something burning. I first thought that it was the sewage smell. The sewage trap drain locate in the middle of the floor, so I started flushing that drain with water over and over again. This is what I was told to do by Water Works when this happen about two years ago. The drain is holding it water in the trap without a problem as far as I can tell. Anyway this did not help. The smell will come and go. Sometime worst than others, but always the strongest in the basement by the sewage drain/ Furnance/ and the entry door of the house. Of course the furnace keep circulating the problem throughout the house. Hard to narrow down the exact location. Call out Water Works again and they said that their meter did not pickup any gases. That was good to here but did not resolved my problem. They thought it maybe a dead animal in my duct work because it seem then that the furnace set the odor off. Call in an HVAC Tech, they did not find anything within the duct work and vents and the smell was not as pronounce when they arrived. I took the Furnace apart for inspection and cut out my drywall ceilings and took apart most of the duct work and inspected it where the smell lead me and found nothing. This has been going on for 5 days now. Last night I did notice that when the washer machine was running water that the smell got worst, but I also thought that was the case when the furnace turn-on as well before last night about 3 days ago. I have even purchase a see-snakes from ridgid the help with the search with no luck. Water Works mention that my main sewage drain pipe runs strange out to the front of the house to the streets and the sewage trap drain pipe run in an angle from the center of the basement floor over to the main sewage drain to joint up together. Can someone help me with ideas on how to narrow down this problem? I am almost positive that it is a problem with my main sewage drain at this time now. If you feel the same way, what do I need to do to get rid of this smell. It is killing me and my Family. I have a City sewage system for this house.

Thank you very much
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 23, 2008, 07:20 AM
    By "sewer drain" are you referring to a floor drain? What I thinks happening is that you may have a partial blockage in the main. When a flush hits the clog it bounces back sending a bubble of sewer gas ahead of it. It's just possible that the back pressure pushes a bubble of sewer gas past the trap in the floor drain and out where the cold air return in your furnace picks it up and sends it through your house. That's about all I can come up with. Regards, try snaking everything downstream from the floor drain. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad odor coming from my nose every time I exhale [ 66 Answers ]

. To those who are concern.. im 22 yrs old seeking an advice for my so-called bad breath but usually it cames out in my nose which I really don't know what is the exact cause of it.I already visits an ENT and prescribed of antibiotics but it didn't treat it at all.its been a 2 years for having...

Odor coming from under Kitchen sink [ 73 Answers ]

I have noticed an odor coming from the cabinets where the kitchen sink is. I have looked for any leaks where the sink is, but have not found any. Could the odor be coming from the sewage? How can I tell? If so, then what can I do to get rid of it? Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks.

Odor Coming From Sink Drain [ 1 Answers ]

What might cause an odor coming from my kitchen sink drain? It has a disposal which has been run recently and is working fine but the smell is persisting. Any ideas?

Water coming out of basement shower and flooding basement [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a home about 2 months ago, and immediately there were flooding issues in the basement. At first I wasn't sure why the carpet in the middle of the basement was getting soaked. Now I see that the water is coming from the shower drain in the basement bathroom. This happened after the...

Odor coming from dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one month old whirlpool dryer. Suddenly about two weeks ago I began having this horrible odor when it would heat up to dry my clothes. I finally got the sears people out to check it and they cleaned a few things and looked it over. They thought it would be fine, but last night I tried...

View more questions Search