Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bskinner57 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Vent question
    When you flush tiolet or let water out of tub or sink, if the vent is working properly will it force air out of the vent?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 23, 2006, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bskinner57
    when you flush tiolet or let water out of tub or sink, if the vent is working properly will it force air out of the vent?
    No, It pulls air in. When you flush or drain, the water draining down the pipe creates a suction. This suction is relieved by the air entering a vent. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vent question - critical distance [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a toilet on the second floor of our house. We have a very small room upstairs in the center of the house which is ideal for an upstairs 1/2 bath. The main 4" vent is on the gable end of the house about 26 feet away from where I want to install the new toilet. My first thought was...

Another Vent Stack Question [ 1 Answers ]

I have a vent that runs from my middle floor bath to the roof. From the bathroom it runs down into the basement level garage and into the slab with a cleanout before entering the slab floor. The only items that drain into the line are a toilet and sink. The shower has its own drain and vent. ...

Vent out roof question [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. I had a question about the vent coming out of the roof. In my kitchen, I have a cathedral ceiling framed with 2 x 12 joists. I was planning on bringing a vent from behind my sink straight up through the roof. I have a 18" overhang, and this will place the vent close to the edge of...

Basement Vent Question [ 3 Answers ]

I was trying to layout a basement bathroom for a new construction home. Please view the attached file to see a schematic. I would like to place a vent behind the sink, and next to the bath. I'm not sure if this is adequate for the toilet placed between them. I was going to place the vent...

Vent/Stack Question from North Carolina [ 1 Answers ]

HELP!! I am new to this so please bear with me: I am building a new house by myself... i.e. no contractors due to cost... I have three levels of bathrooms... all stacked above each other... the way I read the code I can install one stack/vent and if I stay within the "critical distance" I can...

View more questions Search