Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladybug27 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Hardwood flooring
    we have been in the process of remodeling certain parts of our home. we would like actual hardwood, however, the price has kinda discouraged me in doing such. We have come across some hardwood that we like. its the kind you snap in place...? anyway, to get to my point, does anyone know the durability/longevity/advantages of going with this kind of hardwood flooring? thanks so much! any input would be greatly appreciated.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Snap together hardwood flooring is usually a laminate. How thick is each board and what brand, do they offer a warranty? Some laminates are actually superior to real wood but you can't use them everywhere and they must be installed properly.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Feb 18, 2008, 06:06 PM
    This will differ from floor to floor because of the thickness and brands. Some lock together tighter than others, somes finish are better.

A laminate floors are good on wear, with exceptions like dogs and cats , cleats if you play baseball... they'll advertise that there scratch resitstant but if it is a sharp object it will gauge it just like real wood, the biggest problem I've had is with dog pee or excessive water from a mop happy wife.

My advise to you is stay with a floor that runs $2 a ft and nothing less, this will keep you away from the cheap stuff, remember you get what you pay for. Ive seen adds for .76 cent and $1... its all crap and you'll be pulling it up quicker than you installed.
    Hardwood may run you around 3.50 to 4.25 and up way up so this is almost half the cost of hardwood.

Bottom line is laminate floors can be great, just make sure you get the right kind.
    Now you say Eric what is the right kind to get... first how did you know my name for one lol... swiftlock, armstrong is good, go to Lowe's and look at the $2 and up. Here the locking system has changed and is much easier to install.
    Tool list: buy a tamping block for the floor, you'll need a hammer, a prybar once you get to the wall, you want be able to tamp the floor together. You'll need some kind of jamb saw to undercut the casing and jambs. A dovetail saw will work if you on a budget. Also a mitersaw works great to. Lastly the floor and the underlayment foam. Goodluck
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Agree with Galvine, go with quality. I even seen one brand that claims real wood laminate thick enough to be sanded and refinished.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 11:45 AM
    No laminate can stand up to dog urine or any water, seams leak and the laminate delaminates.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Depending on the value of your home, and the length of time you plan on staying in your home, I would say spring for the hardwood. From an investment standpoint, hardwood is a better option, and if homes in your neighborhood mostly have hardwood and you install laminate, your home will be less valuable. This is especially important if you plan on moving soon. If you plan on staying for a long time, it still might be better to put in good quality hardwood, as you can sand it and re-stain it; it won't need replacing like laminate after several years. On th other hand, if most homes in your neighborhood have peel and stick tile or linoleum, laminate would make your home more desirable than those.

I think I've seen the snap-in hardwood you are talking about; is it compressed wood with a thin layer (not really a veneer) of real wood on top of it? I know it looks nice, but I don't have any experience with it, so I'm sorry, I can't be of much help there.

Look at several stores, look online and even meet with some flooring companies about hardwood; you might find someone who is having a special on a brand or color that is being discontinued which might make it more affordable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Polyurethane on engineered hardwood flooring [ 4 Answers ]

I installed engineered hardwood floors in my living room in the instructions it said to put polyurethane on the floor when finished so that's what I did but now some spots on the floor are spotty and some are smooth and shiny what should I do. How can I take the polyurethane off the floor.

Bamboo Hardwood Flooring [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone who has any experience with bamboo hardwood flooring have any opinions they wish to share with someone considering using bamboo? I've got an inexpensive raised ranch which I can't justify flooring in a hardwood for $4+ per sq ft. But bamboo at about $2 sq ft is in the range of...

New hardwood flooring popping [ 7 Answers ]

I had new hardwood flooring installed in my kitchen and foyer 3 weeks ago. One week after installation I am hearing popping sounds in places when I walk. Is this normal? The floor is level and no boards seem to be loose. I just wondered if the flooring has to settle. The floor was laid over...

Thickness of Hardwood Flooring [ 1 Answers ]

I want to use Bellawood on my kitchen floor when I remodel it. I'm going to scrape up all the old tile down to the subfloor which is plywood. I was originally looking at 3/4" wood flooring, but this morning I recieved an Email from Lumber Liquidators (Same place I plan on buying anyway) stating...

Hardwood flooring glue on sheetrock [ 1 Answers ]

We just had hardwood floors installed, and some of the glue got on our door jams and sheetrock. Do you have any suggestions for getting it off the sheetrock. We have started scraping it off the door jams, and will probably sand them and repaint, but I'm not sure what to do with the sheetrock. ...

View more questions Search