Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcneill2181 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Crystal meth and pregnancy
    I was just wondering about the effects on a unborn child if the FATHER was/is an addict??
    I wanted to know what, if any side effects a child could have if he used. I'm clean and have never used before, and never would!! Also, this may be a stupid question but does it have any effects on me?? We have had unprotected sex and I want to know if anything can be passed through his semen into me??
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Nothing can be passed to you unless he was a needle user and got something from that. But as far as the baby, that's a very good question. I would consult your physcian as soon as possible on this matter.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 05:40 PM
    The question really is do you want a meth user to be the father of your child? Beside normal diseases, that he may incur, or yourself you should not pass along anything unless either of you had it when you got pregnant. Sorry, and this is just my opinion, but would not trust a meth user and I would insist, now, on protected sex, now that you are pregnant. I hope now that you are pregnant you will think of your baby first and your future...
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelesspa
    The question really is do you want a meth user to be the father of your child? Beside normal diseases, that he may incur, or yourself you should not pass along anything unless either of you had it when you got pregnant. Sorry, and this is just my opinion, but would not trust a meth user and I would insist, now, on protected sex, now that you are pregnant. I hope now that you are pregnant you will think of your baby first and your future.....
    GREAT advice.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    GREAT advice.
    THANK you C. momma, kind of makes me crazy when I hear stuff like this, in my world, a mother's first job is to protect her baby, from conception, nothing else, especially a loser man should stay in the way of a happy baby, and from then on your only job is to live, care and protect your for the baby at least for 18 years. You are the only one responsible... My mom told me this at 16, she passed soon after... but it was the best advice ever! And I wish I could thank her for it, cause I raised my kids basically myself and we did OK,. survived... but it was these words that motivited me not to depend on anyone but myself... :)
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 06:02 PM
    THANK you C. momma, kinda makes me crazy when I hear stuff like this, in my world, a mother's first job is to protect her baby, from conception, nothing else, especially a loser man should stay in the way of a happy baby, and from then on your only job is to live, care and protect your for the baby at least for 18 years. You are the only one responsible...... My mom told me this at 16, she passed soon after... but it was the best advice ever! And I wish I could thank her for it, cause I raised my kids basically myself and we did OK,.... survived... but it was these words that motivited me not to depend on anyone but myself....:)
    I know exactly what you mean, my mother was addicted to meth, and I tell you she was the worst influence in my life. My father passed when I was 15, I wish I had more time with him, but he was the best influence in my life, and taught me almost everything I needed to know to be a decent human being. I hate to generalize and stereo-type people, but meth addicts (I call them tweakers), are the biggest scum on the face of the earth. They are wastes of space, and I wish meth killed people instantly. Sorry so harsh. I do, however, applaud people that move on from addictions and become functioning people in society. I fear for your child if this is the kind of people you choose to surround yourself with. I hope you can make better choices in the future, especially regarding your child.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 06:38 PM
    C:momma, so can relate to you, I know I'm older then you but I had good old parents, basically Ozzie and Harriet, and where I was brought up you could get anything you wanted, had other ideas, that kept me from that world, of at least addiction, but unfortunately when I moved to keep my kids from the world of, it didn't matter, drugs are everywhere, I was that dumb, you can move, but the only thing that changes is theaccents... My daughter is being ate alive by meth,all I can do is stand by and watch, My ex boyfriend also fooled me for along time, it's a really sad state but there's nothing the normal person can do, it's so bad , all I do now is pray... I did everything for along time I had to leave him, and now I just pray for her...
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 09:56 PM
    C:momma, so can relate to you, I know I'm older then you but I had good old parents, basically Ozzie and Harriet, and where I was brought up you could get anything you wanted, had other ideas, that kept me from that world, of at least addiction, but unfortunately when I moved to keep my kids from the world of, it didn't matter, drugs are everywhere, I was that dumb, you can move, but the only thing that changes is theaccents....My daughter is being ate alive by meth,all I can do is stand by and watch, My ex boyfriend also fooled me for along time, it's a really sad state but there's nothing the normal person can do, it's so bad , all I do now is pray...... I did everything for along time I had to leave him, and now I just pray for her....
    That's all you can do (if you are religious), I just stay away from anyone involved with it any way.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 10:11 PM
    If he used sterilized needles and used "clean" crystal meth (as clean as it gets)... then there shouldn't be any effects upon you or the baby.
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 10:24 PM
    Haha @ CLEAN crystal meth... It's bathtub chemicals.
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 10:24 PM
    And I just want to point out that A lot of people's idea of a "CLEAN" needle is biting off the tip... I'm not even kidding.
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Lol... UGH, disgusting.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 10:26 PM
    I'd hate to be the devil's advocate...

But people. Syringes + needles... are cheap. Really. Really. Cheap.

They're about $0.50 per. Come on.
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 10:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    I'd hate to be the devil's advocate...

but people. syringes + needles...are cheap. really. really. cheap.

they're about $0.50 per. come on.

There are actually places that give them out for FREE!!
    peter2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2008, 12:45 AM
    Meth is very injurious to health it is completely killing the lives, family and communities the people promoting such antisocial activities should not be left free. Effort should be made for people to get cure from this methamphetamine. The effects of this drugs on a pregnant women can be anxiety, increased blood pressures, insomnia and paranoia, irritability, mental and physical exhaustion so it is advisable that pregnant women or any normal person should not consume this drug.
    ===============================
    Peter
    Crystal Meth Addiction
    barbara789 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 04:40 AM
    A growing literature is demonstrating the importance of emotion
    Regulation in the treatment of substance abuse. For the sake of
    Conceptual uniformity, this section uses the tobacco cessation as the
    Chief example; however, since nicotine and other psychoactive
    Substances such as cocaine activate similar psychopharmacological
    Pathways, an emotion regulation approach may be similarly applicable
    To a wider array of substances of abuse.

Barbara
    "http://www.crystalrecovery.com"
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 11:27 AM

Any drug, especially man made, can alter cell function. I really believe that drug use even by the father causes neurological problems such as bi polar and attention deficit.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 9, 2009, 09:12 AM
    From the OP:

"I wanted to know what, if any side effects a child could have if he used"

Well, let's see now. He is addicted, and lives a life of addiction. He has not taken any steps to rehab that you have said, so he likely spends all his money on drugs, and has a drug users lifestyle.

He may share needles, he may end up with a disease because of that. Check this out:

Fact Sheet: Crystal Meth and HIV

Do you really want to risk contracting HIV?

Having unprotected sex with him makes me wonder about your age, and your ability to make safe choices.

What do you think raising a child with an addict would be like. Do you think that he would be a good role model, povider, honest and reliable partner?

How would your family react, and how would they feel having to kick in for diapers because your boyfriend used the money for drugs.

So yes, any child of a union with a meth addict is born with problems. Why bring a baby into this world knowing what he will be facing right from the get go.

If you aren't pregnant, for God's sake, GET ON THE PILL. PLEASE use protection, and save the life that you so carelessley risk by possibly getting pregnant with a drug addict.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend is addicted to meth [ 16 Answers ]

I need some help on a very difficult situation. My boyfriend is addicted to drugs. Right now it is crystal meth, before it was cocaine, crack, etc. I don't know what to do! We have been together for over 5 years and it hurts to see him like this, especially when I know how good of a man he is! (I...

Crystal meth long term brain damage ? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have been clean now for 33 days off the evil crystal meth and I am wondering if I have brain damage from using meth for almost ten years on and off because it feels to me as if my brain does not work like it used to. I find it hard to study and recall things and sometimes (alot...

My husband was on meth and drank [ 3 Answers ]

This is how it began, my husband was on meth and I knew it, but when he brought into our home I told him to leave and he did . This was over a year ago. He stopped the meth about 10 months ago on his own. We always drank from time to time but not a lot. Well he is back and has been for 8 months....

My brother is addicted to meth [ 18 Answers ]

So yesterday we got a disturbing call from my uncle. He informed me that my brother is addicted to meth and stole a credit card from another employee. Also he is in trouble and debt with a drug dealer. WHAT DO I DO? I can't believe this. We are going to denver hopefully to convront him and to try...

I think my husband is on meth [ 26 Answers ]

Here are the symptoms Erratic behavior,wears sun-glasses all the time-even indoors,he seems to have aged decades,hair long and unkempt,teeth discolored,weightloss of fifty pounds or more in a few months,sometimes he seems paranoid,anger outbursts,cut himself off his family,new and strange friends...

View more questions Search