Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    camaromoe Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Celing joist showing through drywall
    Hi I have a house that is 12 years old and am starting to see the rafters outline through the drywall. Is this a problem? What can I do with this? Thanks moe
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Don't understand this one. Drywall hangs from ceiling joist. You should not see the outline of joist. Do you mean that you are seeing the joints of the drywall or the outline of the tape?

Feb 18, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Hi when looking up at ceiling I can see dark lines in the drywall every 2' where the joist would be. It is darkest near the wall and up about 2' also at the top about 1' this is in a vaulted ceiling. Hope this makes sense. Thanks moe
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 08:06 PM
    The best that I can guess (and it is just a guess) is that you have a moisture problem. Could be condensation or could be roof leak. If joist are getting wet the moisture might be telegraphing through drywall. Bet you have a flat roof.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Feb 27, 2008, 09:50 PM
    Hello,
    I agree with Harold. If you can see dark lines at the joists you have a moisture problem. I would have it checked for mold ASAP as this can cause serious health issues.
    Mike
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Feb 28, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Yes, sounds like a moisture problem. Go in the attic and check it out, make sure your vents are not blocked too.

Feb 28, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Thanks everyone,I will get up there and check it out.
    paintinpea Posts: 1, Reputation: 3

Mar 17, 2008, 10:52 AM
    I have the same problem on my vaulted ceiling and found the answer. This is common in cathedral type ceilings. When the temp drops outside the studs and rafters conduct cold to the warm inside of the home forming mild condensation. The dust particles in the home begin to stick to the drywall where the drywall meets the cold wood. Over time dark lines become visible. You can try washing but usually you will have to repaint. The only way to prevent them from recurring is to reduce the indoor humidity in cold months with a dehumidifier. Also keep the air filters in your heating system maintained. Hope this helps.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hdd not showing in disk management but showing in device manager [ 1 Answers ]

I have my friend's hdd which crashed few daz ago then I connected it to my PC as slave but now its in the device manager and bios though not showing in MY COMPUTER,DISK MANAGEMENT.. help

Ceiling joist spans [ 1 Answers ]

What is the recommended ceiling joist spans on new home construction - 16 in or 24 in and what are the maximum spans for each?

Joist [ 4 Answers ]

How far apart should floor joist be

View more questions Search