Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2008, 07:16 PM
    1099-misc income for consulting work
    I have a full time job, regular W2, no issues with that. I did some consulting work and have a 1099-misc for income I made listed in box 7, nonemployee compensation. I'm not too sure how to file it. In my tax software, it gives me a section for 1099-misc. But then it wants me to name my business. It asks me for startup costs. Then it goes on to ask if "I started or acquired this business during 2007." Is all this stuff necessary? What is "accounting method" referring to? They're asking me is I was active in the operation of the business. I'm not sure what they mean. Please help. Thanks!
    Adebusk Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Feb 16, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Hello. You have to report any income reported on the 1099 misc. Because the majority of people that receive these are business owners I am not surprised that your software asks you to state you business. You won't enter a business name if you don't have a business just your name and social security number should work. Most businesses will have a federal ID #. You information will go on the schedule M (Misc Income) If you are filing a 1040.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Yes, when you started your "consulting business" you became self employed and had your own business, something you may not have even thought about, All of the expense of this business can be deducted often.

So when did you start the busineess (? First day you started doing the contracting work) And as a self employed person, you should have been keeping this money separate and paying your costs out of that money.

Were you active, did you work doing it, have a say in day to day operation or did you just have others running it and sat back and just collected a check.

Feb 16, 2008, 08:59 PM
    It was consulting work where I had to analyze data online. I didn't really have "daily" operations, like answer phones. It was just part time working, an hour or two an evening, and got paid a lump sum at the end. Does this mean I was "active" in the operation?
    nepcpp Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Yes, it does.

You have costs associated with this business.
    Did you use your computer? Did you upgrade anything (hardware or software) to do the consulting work? If so, that would be a business expense.
    Do you pay for internet service? If you used your internet service to perform any part of the tasks, AND you either signed up for internet service OR upgraded to a better package as a result of taking on this consulting work, the service DURING THE TIME OF THE CONSULTING WORK would be a business expense.
    THINK about everything you used to perform the task. Electricity, heat, phone, paper and ink cartridges for your printer. Driving back & forth to the company you did the contracting work for.
    Tools - if you had to purchase a specific tool(s) to perform the contracting work, that's also tax deductible.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    I have a full time job, regular W2, no issues with that. I did some consulting work and have a 1099-misc for income I made listed in box 7, nonemployee compensation. I'm not too sure how to file it. In my tax software, it gives me a section for 1099-misc. But then it wants me to name my business. It asks me for startup costs. Then it goes on to ask if "I started or acquired this business during 2007." Is all this stuff necessary? What is "accounting method" referring to? They're asking me is I was active in the operation of the business. I'm not sure what they mean. Please help. Thanks!!
    Name of business -- leave blank or put your own name
    Startup cost -- leave blank or 0
    I started or acquired... yes
    Accounting method -- cash accounting
    I was active in the... yes
    Your software is asking this question to do schedule C. You can download the schedule C form IRS site and keep in front of you. Then you will have better idea of what is going on.
    You need to do schedule C. Then it will also ask your business related expenses.

Read more:
    Tax News: Independent Contractor or Self Employed Person getting 1099 (instead of W2)

Feb 18, 2008, 05:50 AM
    I think I'm getting there, thanks all for the help so far.

Is the job code important, I think it's 5 or 6 digits?

For reimbursing gas, I know you can do the actual costs, and then the estimated based on mileage. I wanted to do the estimated, since I figured that would be easier. But when I read about eligibility to claim the 48 or so cents a mile, it says something like "you must choose to ust it in the first year the car is available for use in your business. Then in later years, you can choose to use either the standard mileage rate or actual expenses." I don't really get that statement.
    Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 09:43 AM
    For job code see the instructions to schedule C.
    For travel expenses, you can either deduct actual expenses or at standard mileage rate of 48.5 cents per mile.

About the statement, let us know where you read this statement (publication no, title and page).

Feb 18, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    For job code see the instructions to schedule C.
    For travel expenses, you can either deduct actual expenses or at standard mileage rate of 48.5 cents per mile.

About the statement, let us know where you read this statement (publication no, title and page).
    Sorry for no detail on the quote. It's from here...
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf
    Page 15, bottom right corner, after the bold statement "Choosing the standard mileage rate"
    Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 10:29 PM
    The statement means that if you are deducting car mileage expenses for the first time, then you must use standard mileage rate.

Mar 4, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nepcpp
    Yes, it does.

You have costs associated with this business.
    Did you use your computer? Did you upgrade anything (hardware or software) to do the consulting work? If so, that would be a business expense.
    Do you pay for internet service? If you used your internet service to perform any part of the tasks, AND you either signed up for internet service OR upgraded to a better package as a result of taking on this consulting work, the service DURING THE TIME OF THE CONSULTING WORK would be a business expense.
    THINK about everything you used to perform the task. Electricity, heat, phone, paper and ink cartridges for your printer. Driving back & forth to the company you did the contracting work for.
    Tools - if you had to purchase a specific tool(s) to perform the contracting work, that's also tax deductible.
    To do this consulting work, I needed an internet connection. I already had high speed cable before doing this. Is there some way to deduct this? If so, where?

Also, my tax software is asking is "any of these business taxes apply..." and one of them is "self-employment tax." Should I check this?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-MISC, income or not an income? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked for this community service and they gave me a grant to pay off my Sallie Mae Loan, this grant is only use to pay school loan, you can't do anything with it, so I used it to pay my loan. Now they send me a 1099-MISC form, in box 3, it show "Other income" and the amount that they gave me. Do...

1099 MISC income [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who is exercise instructor who also did some painting in our facility for a flat fee. Is the painting income reportable on Form 1099 and if so which box?

Claiming 1099 misc. Income [ 3 Answers ]

I earned approximately $500.00 in 2006 in a home based business. I received a 1099 misc. income form. Do I need to do a Schedule C no matter how much I earned or is there a minimum amount before having to go through the process of preparing a Schedule C?

1099-MISC income while on H-1B Visa [ 5 Answers ]

Is it legal to have a 1099-MISC income while being on H-1 Visa? The income is derived from a web based business to while the individual is affiliated but not an employee of. The profit earned by him is reported on a yearly basis as a 1099-MISC that is sent to him by the company. Is this legal? Will...

How to report income on 1099-Misc? [ 1 Answers ]

I got both W2 & 1099-Misc (Box 7. Nonemployee Compensation) from my employer. When I entered 1099-Misc income in TurboTax, it produced a Form 4137 (social security & medicare tax on unreported tip income). The income reported on 1099-Misc is not unreported tip income, but performance based bonus...

View more questions Search