Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mraquino21 Posts: 81, Reputation: 7

Feb 14, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Bankruptcy and a home
    Hi I was looking into fileing bankruptcy. I checked out chapter 7 and 13. Most everything says that you can keep your home and get the interest rate and monthly payment lowered. Well what if I wanted to file bankruptcy and not keep my house. How would that work? I live in Alabama. My biggest problem is that my mortgage payment is way too high and so far I'm 2 months behind with a 3rd payment due March 1st. I'm trying to weigh all of my options.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 01:30 PM
    The trick in Chapter 7 is the budget. If you are moving and lowering your housing costs, you will need to increase your other budget items or reduce your income to prevent being forced into Chapter 13. I have never heard of modifying the interest rate or monthly payment in the course of Chapter 7; usually one would either discharge the debt and loose the collateral, or reaffirm the debt.
    mraquino21 Posts: 81, Reputation: 7

Feb 14, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Well basically what I'd really like to do is move out of the house and get rid of it or let the bank have it or whatever and also claim my debts on the bankruptcy. Is that possible, and which bankruptcy would I use to do it? Also I am currently married but everything is in my name would I have to use his income or if I was divorced would it beneif me better with using only my income? I have no clue about this topic and need as much info as possible.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 01:51 PM
    You can file a Chapter 7 (or 13) either Individually or Joint; the filing fee is the same. If you are married and file individually, you will still disclose your spouse's income and budget, though he is not a petitioner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy and our home [ 1 Answers ]

About 4yrs ago we declared bankruptcy. By law we had to file our trailer that we live in under it. We never re-affirmed the loan, which means we live here because we make the payments and choose to. I think by law we aren't obligated anymore. Anyway, I was wondering, if we decide to walk away from...

Selling a home under bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

What do I need to know when selling my home and I filed bankruptcy prior to sale?

Bankruptcy,keeping my home [ 2 Answers ]

Will I Lose My House If I Declare Bankruptcy

Home equity and bankruptcy court [ 1 Answers ]

I filed a chapter 13, 19 months ago. Now I'm selling my house, which was not included in the matter, nor is their any leins against the house. Can the bankruptcy court take any of the equity money from the sell of this house?

Selling Home Under Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

I am interested in selling my home under bankruptcy. What are my successful chances of doing this and what is the best route to go about doing this.

View more questions Search