Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homeowner123123123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Normal house settling or something worse?
    Our house is 7 years old and we live in New Mexico. A year ago we began to notice diagonal cracks in our drywall from the top corners of windows and doors and cracks in our stucco outside. Then one day two of our windows cracked (double pane windows, interior glass only cracked) for no apparent reason. We contacted our builder, who sent out a structural engineer come and look and his findings were that the cracked windows were weather realated and that the cracks in drywall and stucco were to be expected.

About a year later we finally got around to replacing the cracked windows. The window installer could not get the windows out and had to cut the new windows in order to get them to fit. His comment was that our house has shifted. Shortly after the windows were replaced (within a month), we have horizontal cracks in our drywall, our window sills have pulled out of place, our window frames on several windows are pulling away from the house frame, all the drywall cracks that were fixed a year ago have returned, we have new vertical cracks running along the window frames, cracks in our ceilings, cracks in our garage floor have gotten bigger. We contacted our builder once again, and they sent out the same 80 year old structural engineer to look at our house. This guy walked in the house, looked at a couple of cracks and said this is not structural, its your house settling. He also made a comment that our house has probably settled about 1 inch, and said a lot of what we are seeing is weather related and/or due to poor construction.

My questions are: If the house is settling, how bad is that? Every day we are seeing something new (new cracks, new windows pulling out, new problems with stucco). When will it stop and what can we do about it? How are structural inspections usually done? This guy didn't take a single picture, didn't write a single note, never pulled out any tools, etc.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Your house is settling that's for sure. In that process you might find an occasional drywall crack. Nothing like what you describe. Yes, I believe that a house is expected to settle about one inch, in about 100 years. I would be willing to bet that you don't know for a fact that the individual the builder sent was in fact a structural engineer. Just some on who works for the builder. Is it logical that windows will crack from weather related conditions, come on? Get your own professional builder or engineer.

He was right that it is due to poor cconstruction, poor construction of the foundation.
    retiredmanvan Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Feb 14, 2008, 09:30 PM
    You better get you a good lawyer to help you sue the builder. This stinks to high heaven.
    Your builder is and will continue to lye to you as long as you will believe what you are being told. The time to take action is right now!!
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2008, 07:59 AM
    You may also want to contact your neighbors and see if they are having the same problem. One of our suburban communities in Western New York was having similar problems to what you're describing. They ended up going after the builder for building homes on unsafe foundations, and a lot of the homeowners got nice settlements from the builder for negligence. Not suggesting this is the same as your case, but just another point of view.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Yes logic dictates exactly what the above posts state,go to the county/perish offices and ask them what to do about excessive settling of your home, they should have people on their payroll and reputable engineers to contact about your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House with obvious foundation settling [ 1 Answers ]

We are looking to buy a house that has obvious foundation settling. Exterior doors and some interior doors are 2 to 3 inches out of square. This house has an unfinished basement and I can't seem to find any serious cracks in the floor or walls. The house was built in 1961 and is in central...

House Settling Problems [ 1 Answers ]

I am unsure who to turn to with our home settling problem. The house is 22 yrs.old and we have lived here for 6 yrs. A couple of months ago we noticed we could no longer use the dead bolt on our back door. Now we have to use a lot of muscle to lift the door when we want to close it. We live in...

Settling house [ 4 Answers ]

What is the usual solution for fixing a settling home? What happens if you do not fix it? Affording this will be a hardship. We have cracks in the drywall everywhere, shifting concrete blocks, water on the basement walls and cracking on basement walls.

How much settling is normal in a new house? [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering how much settling can be expected in a new home. We've been in our home for 1.5 years. These past few months I have been noticing cracking in ceiling joints, plaster cracking where ceiling meets walls, popping, creeking etc. Can this be normal? Do I just patch and hope for the...

House still settling [ 3 Answers ]

I've lived in my house for 3.5 years. It is a 1/1 condo type townhouse (bought new). There are 7 units in my row of houses. At the first year anniversary, the builder had a contractor come in and fix all settling cracks and joints. At year 2 I fixed all settling cracks and joints. It is now...

View more questions Search