Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 20, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Yes; however, I do regret some of his undertakings that have added a few trillion dollars to the Federal debt. However, given the same choice again (eg, Bush or Gore), I would still (hesitantly) vote for Bush.
    purplewings Posts: 145, Reputation: 24

Feb 21, 2008, 06:01 AM
    The elections have become more of a game than anything else now. The Democrats versus the Republicans... being in that battle keeps anyone from having to state any actual issues or plans.

This year has been even better because it's between an African American and a female - more diversion to keep issues at bay.

A lackluster congress decides who will be the candidates - a special delegate force will come at the end of the caucus and determine who wins the place on the ballot.

... and then we can look forward to polling errors - preventing people from voting - voting twice - being unregistered - confused - voting machines and counters not working -

The winner will then be decided by a 2 out of 3 win in Roshambo between the two candidates
    shatteredsoul Posts: 423, Reputation: 130

Feb 21, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Its amazing how in each election there are the same issues or conflicts that arise every time. It is important to remember how we have a voice in all of this. A famous quote still resonates with me over this issue of who represents us as a nation, and our freedoms and rights. "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens chan change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has." I guess the bigger picture in all of this is what is important to me. It isn't really about the candidates themselves, but how they do or do not reflect the voices of the majority of our nation.

Feb 21, 2008, 11:38 AM
    What can we do? Well, I think the first step is to recognize that a few people who only complain amongst each other is a futile effort. However, bringing people together to form a mass awareness of paying attention to Election Laws, could be a key component. We have the ability to fight for change. We can attack the ways in which things have been done, we can advocate for amending the rules and laws, surrounding campaigns, voting and fundraising. We can show an absolute stand against that which is unfair, unethical and unlawful, in electing or allowing candidates to run.
    BOTTOM LINE, We have to make a stink. This means addressing local lawmakers, State representatives, Rallying candidates to force them to pay attention to the issue during election time. WE can start petitions addressing our concerns with all branches of government involved. We can unite and be a driving force in getting Congress and possibly the Supreme Court to pay attention to certain unconstitutional issues. It does start with a few and once the flame is ignited, it can only bring more awareness, which is the first step to any change necessary to resolve conflict. I myself have learned about so much and how the laws work, or don't. First people have to be interested enough to become aware and want to help change what isn't working. WE cannot give up as a nation and allow a few to control the masses. IT CAN BE DONE, although each step is complicated, I do believe in the POWER OF THE PEOPLE.
    Remember, slavery used to be status quo. With a few amazing and dedicated people who came together to bring awareness and insight to the masses, they destroyed that. We can also destroy the monopoly that has been created surrounding elections and who is allowed to be an eligible candidate.
    The unknown is always scary, but so is staying with more of the same. (Just my opinion, I am an expert in nothing but opininated about everything) lol
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 02:25 PM
    shatteredsoul writes: "Remember, slavery used to be status quo. With a few amazing and dedicated people who came together to bring awareness and insight to the masses, they destroyed that."

Not to chill your enthusiasm but whomever those "few amazing and dedicated people" were brought forth that at least 618,000 Americans died in the Civil War, and some experts say the toll reached 700,000. At any rate, these casualties exceed the nation's loss in all its other wars, from the Revolution through Vietnam. If this example of 'what we can do' had spared the lives, limbs, and property of millions of victims then I would agree about the efforts of "a few amazing and dedicated people".

On a constructive note, let me suggest reading and not watching television news unless you check every story for its bias, especially if the medium claims to be unbiased.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    especially if the medium claims to be unbiased.
    This is especially of that one network that claims to be Fair and Balanced. :)

Feb 21, 2008, 08:02 PM
    It is interesting how you so poignantly point out my choosing of words, for how slavery came to be undone. The truth is, that maybe I should have focused on women's rights or desegregation or for victims rights... etc... Slavery itself did indeed cause much bloodshed and took countless lives... but war is war. Blood is blood and that wasn't what I was talking about. I was talking about how change occurs, overtime it begins with grass root movements. A few people who spark the fire and ignite the interest to change what is wrong.. You could have pointed out anything else, but rather than focus on the big picture, than we could begin uniting rather than continue to divide...
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 21, 2008, 11:17 PM
    Shattered, George, and all...
    It is necessary for people to regain power over what they fundamentally believe in again, but that is not going to happen with uniting and just talking or petitioning.
    Unfortunately any forthcoming 'revolution' will need more than that. With all the mud-slinging, skeletons, and blackmail through media or behind hidden doors, financial support from the 'unknown' powers that truly rule right now and will continue to do so unless a revolt begins. This revolt will not be peacefully achieved - never, ever... no matter what you wish.

This upcoming election will not be changed overnight unless those that really determine what happens say so. It will take education, innovation and determination for at least 20 years to change. Those determined to have the New World Order are far too powerful and will not be stopped with individual votes or petitions, sorry to say. They want to 'divide' even more - makes it easier to control.

My brother was in Afghanistan and now his reserve unit will be sent elsewhere for 24 months (probably deeper) and I am not the only one with family or friend in the same situation. But I also had friends in the Pentagon and Towers. Don't you think that I wish all this never happened, and wish that we could have the power to ensure peace and freedom of religion worldwide??

Fact is that there are too many influential rich and on the other side too many Fanatics who oppose each other and we are smack dab right in the middle. You can lick them or join them, but this will not be achieved without bloodshed. PERIOD. There are pacifists and then subserviants. Sometimes pacifists have to make a choice to protect their rights too - and not expect someone else to fight your battle and then condemm them for shedding blood for your rights.

There will always be loopholes in laws, interpretations of rights and directives - depending how much money and power is at stake.

If I had the time, I would research how much campaign money was used for every election throughout history and who donated. Not just in the US, but Germany, and above all France. Think about it. Are all those fancy conventions and dinners really needed to hear the voice of a person who wants the 'best' for his or her country??

I would also like to be a fly on the wall in those secret rooms to hear all the pre-election deals that were made. Sorry, but petitions just won't do it this time.

You all know me, I purposely stayed out of political issues and religion threads - and for a selfish reason. I did not want to step on toes or hurt feelings because I felt helping people one-on-one with their immediate problems was a 'safer' territory for me.

Now that I am dying, and have nothing to loose, but care about the safety and security of my daughter and grandson's future, and the world's future - even though powerless to do anything, I just need to ask those of you who still can do something to please take off your blinders and start making definitive plans - long, painfully enduring plans, to get closer to the reality that you want. Get your rights back, your peace back! But I promise you it will not happen with just passivity alone. There will be sacrifices, just as all throughout history and I for one hope you win eventually.

We are all vulnerable right now, no wonder, with all that is happening worldwide, and vulnerability is an easy target for vultures and corruption from all sides, so go forth and listen to your instinctive 'gut feelings'.

I have not changed, I still hate getting involved here, but really felt the urge to voice my feelings and I hope you can forgive me for being the bearer of bad vibes here - I just had to say it!

Nevertheless, I care for you all and hope that you will eventually get your world back the way it should be.
    Love,
    Chery

EDIT: P.S. Shattered.. slavery never stopped - just shifted to multi-colored poor who just want to have a normal existence. Just think about those that get fired if they complain about basic safety rights at the workplace and a salary that puts food on the table..

Feb 22, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Your words are wise and true my friend. Nothing is as easy as it sounds. IT is a difficult road for all of us. In the United States we are very blessed to not have a lot of the misfortune that we could have. Yes our economy is in the gutter, our international relations suck, we have poverty and crime and terrorism. There is so much to focus on that is bad. It is very easy for us to get discouraged, disheartened and just give up. BUT, in this country we still do have freedoms that other countries do not. That in and of itself is a gift we cannot afford to not use. We can't undo what has been done overnight, but I just HAVE to believe we can make small steps in the right direction. IT is like David and Goliath. FIghting so much evil and corruption with a few good guys, I just don't want to give up. I don't want this nation to give up. If I lose that optimism than I begin to feel powerless to the world around me. I can't do that. Maybe I see the world full of opportunity that begins with me, you, with us.. just having this conversation. For all the people reading it. IT doesn't matter whether they agree with me, hate me or think I am an unrealistic, naiive girl. WHAT matters is that we are talking, and that is where it begins.
    It means something. It brings an energy to the discussion that is vital to the basic right of free speech!
    However, I really agree with you and respect your awareness of the other side of the picture. We cannot turn a blind eye to the madness around us. Living in a world with rose colored glasses isn't the answer either. BUT, through discussion we can begin to unite across the nation, across the borders and even across the world... I care about that.
    Maybe that is why I am so passionate about going beyond the regular debate and focusing on bigger more consequential issues. WE can disagree and agree to disagree but we can still have a mutual respect for our insight and the greater awareness we achieve because of it. Just think of the connection we have made here, any little but of positive has a great affect on the world... in fact, it affects eternity.. because you never know where that influence ends.
    CHery, every word you write is from your heart, that is why we all love you. I wish I could reach across the miles and hug you for every kind word you have given me... it has brightened some dark days of mine. Please know that I cherish our talks and the perspectives you offer. They enrich me, and others too. Thank you for that and for always being honest and thoughtful at the same time... xoxoxoxo Peace my friend.

Feb 22, 2008, 10:35 AM
    It seems to me that as long as taxes stay in place and the economy is good, our citizens don't care that our leaders vote themselves extra benefits and bigger paychecks. They don't care if they have character or are immoral either. Anything is okay as long as our paychecks are stable, but when the economy goes down and people's wallets are thinner, the alarm goes off. It happened with a Republican president and a Democratic congress. Who's to blame? The Democrats point to the Republicans and vice versa. BUT we still continue to choose one party or the other who bring us all the same tax hikes, disregard for our desires, and a lack of privacy - still we vote them in because who else is there?

We have a disregard for the Constitution. They each maneuver it to mean what they want it to mean and then swear they're following the constitution. Is everyone asleep here?

Or is it that we work so many hours that we don't really have time to investigate our leaders? Maybe that's part of the bigger plan for a NWO. Keep us all too busy to notice all these losses and soon it will be too late - if it's not already so.
    paintballchic Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Feb 24, 2008, 05:16 PM
    First of all, I am not legally old enough to vote... I probably would have voted for bush the first time... BUT I would have regretted it, I think the war in Iraq is stupid and I am glad that he cannot run ever again!!
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2008, 08:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paintballchic
    first of all, i am not legally old enough to vote.... I probably would have voted for bush the first time... BUT I would have regretted it, I think the war in Iraq is stupid and I am glad that he cannot run ever again!!!!
    Why is this war stupid? Aren't all wars stupid?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Why is this war stupid? Aren't all wars stupid?
    If they are then why do some people actively seek them?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 25, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Wars are just a grown up equivalent to spanking. Sometimes a firm physical enforcement of some rule/law/political tenet is necessary.

We tried to stay out of WWII for so long, even though we had plenty of legitimate reason to join in, we waited until they actually came and attacked us. We know now that the Pearl Harbor incident could've been avoided by our entering the war sooner of our own volition, but hindsight is always perfect.

No one wants war, but if you're not willing to back up your beliefs for freedom from oppressive political systems, then those beliefs are pretty pointless.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 25, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Is war stupid?

I don't know, ask the people who fought during the civil war for independence.

Ask God when he helped Moses free his people - there were severe losses on both sides there too.
    Ask the Irish, Scottish and others who did not want their families branded as serfs, their wives raped, and the high taxes which forced them to seek a better life after long enduring boat trips to land at Plymouth Rock.
    Ask the immigrants that were sent to Australia.
    Ask the earlier European people who did not want to be ruled and enslaved by the Roman Empire - that includes the English, French and Turkey and North Africa.. and just plain slavery - in earlier England, France, and America.

I think those reasons added up to not wanting to be controlled, used and abused anymore, so something finally had to be done.
    Those mentioned are just a few, I could go on and on with Spain, Russia, China, Korea, Japan, Africa, and almost every state in South America.

How about the Alamo - was that stupid too - I don't think the people that died there thought so - they did not like the idea of a Mexican politician/general ruling America - the background reason was a lot of gold, but people were starving too. - So go figure.

Then ask the millions of educated people murdered in Cambodia because they were thinking too much and trying to pass on a better education.

IMO is that the stupidity lies in the ignorance, apathy and selfishness of certain people. Also uneducated fear and drugging up oneself to numb the fact of reality and not really wanting to do anything about an issue unless it's right in your backyard. - Oh, but there already are wars in your backyard - the drug dealers and gangs - you know those that you see, but turn away hoping that they don't notice you... They exhibit their urge to control, and if you want them out, then you need to take control over your life and the life of those you love and want to protect - and no longer look away.

Remember that everyone knew what was happening in Europe in the concentration camps, but still turned the boats away in England, France, South America and the US - not to mention English help in the middle east by turning boats away. WHO WAS IN CONTROL then?

So, if you think war is stupid, wake up, get educated, find the 'firestarters' so we won't need an alarm in the first place - in other words do something about it before it comes to you.

Yup, wars are basically stupid, just as stupid as ignorance, fear, and apathy. Think about it. I also think greed and wanting to control others with guns, dope, and legal 'medicines' is very,very stupid - but it's all happening.

But, guess what, you still have the 'right' to choose which 'control' you are willing to tolerate for yourself. There are kids in Africa who starve or carry guns (because they are threatened to be killed if they don't) - Hmm, sounds like a GANG of a larger size to me.. but who am I.

OK, I've said enough for now - this depresses the heck out of me - worse than the stupid cancer that is eating me up from the inside. But I can understand the Pharmaceutical Companies - it's cheaper to produce antidpressants for control than invest in cures for HIV, cancer, heart diseases - that would leave too many mouth's to feed and too many thinkers still sticking around to try and do something about a bigger problem.

Feb 25, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
    purplewings]
    ---------------------------------------
    I was wondering what it was/is about Gore that made you not want to vote for him?
    I didn't believe Gore was strong enough to lead our country. He really seemed to have no issues other than global warming. I was also turned-off by his claim to have started the internet, which may have been a misspeak, but he never explained otherwise.

I thought him to be a whiny person with little substance.

I thought Reagan was fantastic with diplomacy, and that other countries would think twice before challenging the USA. I was pleased when president Bush took a stand against our attackers, rather than sitting back and ignoring as former presidents had done. We need to show strength at all times.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Right to vote [ 3 Answers ]

Can I ever get my rights back if I was convicded of a felony

Why I should vote? [ 7 Answers ]

I am going to bring my thread here to start it in a new light. The header is just a teaser,the real question is: Why SHOULD I vote? This was from a different post,I would like it to be the focus of my thread. I do vote,in ALL elections(just to clear that up)

Who would vote for? [ 12 Answers ]

OK everybody this is a volunteer question so if you don't wish to answer then don't.I have already been harassed by people who don't wish to share something like this. OK...Barack Obama who is an AA and Hillary Clinton are the likely democratic candidates to run in 08'.My question is if you had a...

For all those who didn't vote [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry for the late comment, Ive been rather busy last week. I however wasn't to busy to get out and vote. Although I don't make practice of broadcasting who I voted for, I will say I was pleased with the outcome. I wanted to come here and lecture to the non voters. My wife didn't vote, and...

Who can vote [ 2 Answers ]

Can convicted felons vote?

View more questions Search