Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dar529 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Medicine that effect blood sugar
    What medicine effects (or rises) my blood sugar. Does glucosamine & condriton raise blood sugar? Are there any other perscriptions that do?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 03:15 AM
    Are you asking because you are a diabetic? None of my meds increase my blood sugar. About the only thing I would worry about was eating a lot of sugar based foods while on my diabetic medication. Glucosamine/condroitin is a good supplement for your joints, but would not effect your blood sugar.
    neverenoughmoney Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Feb 11, 2008, 08:23 PM
    If you are diabetic I would talk with your dr. I found this on the about.com alterative med.

There is some evidence suggesting that glucosamine, in doses used to treat osteoarthritis, may worsen blood sugar, insulin, and/or hemoglobin A1c (a test that measures how well blood sugar has been controlled during the previous three months) levels in people with diabetes or insulin resistance.
    Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 03:30 AM
    A simple test diabetics should be doing almost every morning is testing their blood sugar level to make sure it is well within acceptable limits. Rule of thumb is 7. before meals, 8. after eating. So we do our short simple test before eating or drinking anything in the morning.

I have taken glucosmine/condroitin because I have arthritis and am active in sports and it helps but have never noticed my blood sugar level increasing because of it. That is not to say we are all the same but I don't think it is a contributing factor in increasing blood sugar levels.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 05:34 AM
    One thing you definitely have to watch with some medicines is added sugar in the preparation to make them more palatable- this is true for a lot of cough syrups for example.

Before taking any medication you should read the leaflet and this will contain any counter indications from medicines you are already on or conditions you may have. If you have any questions about interpreting the leaflet or anything listed just ask a pharamacist and they will help, after all that is their job.

You are right to be cautious about supplements and 'natural' alternatives because this does not prevent them from having effects on other medications.

Tickle the jury's still out on the effect of glucosamine. The initial concerns were raised because of the proposed effect of glucosamine on cellular glucose uptake [1], and initial worrying animal model studies. [2]. Further studies in humans showed no effect but these were not extensive, long term and many weren't on diabetic patients. I believe current medical opinion sits at you can take it but monitor yourself. [3] In a position like this I would talk to my doctor about their opinion.

Other differenced to consider in advice is are you type one or two Tickle and what is the OP? This could cause differences in sensitivity to different substances.

[1] Hussain MA. A case for glucosamine. Eur J Endocrinol. 1998; 139: 472-475
    [2] Rossetti I et al. In vivo glucosamine infusion induces insulin resistance in normoglycaemic but not hyperglycaemic rats. J Clin Invest 1993; 96: 132-140
    [3] What precautions if any should pts with type 1 and type 2 diabetes take who use glucosamine for joint pain. : NLH Question Answering Service
    Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Hi templelane, I am type 2 diabetic and as I said, because I am consistent with my glucose testing as all diabetics should be, I know I have not had any unusual readings on my blood sugar taking glucosomine. Type 2 diabetics can have sugar and there certainly is less sugar (I am looking at my bottle of glucosamine and no sugar listed) in tabs of glucosamine then in one chocolate bar. Diabetics just learn how to balance everything out, it is actually quite easy if you know limits. A good example say is having a huge lunch which will up your sugar intake and having the common sense to eat light for supper.

Good point about type l diabetics, my dad was one many many years ago and some of my clients are type l also. Consistency in insulin injections is important, but some type 2s are on metformin which is my med for type l.

As for reading labels, that is something everyone should be doing nowadays for sure.

I normally keep up on all publications regarding diabetes and have a great support system at our local hospital in the person of a diabetic dietician who I haven't had to bother for quite some time because I know my body and diabetic reactions.

I was assuming that the OP was a diabetic and I did ask that question in my first response but so far the OP hasn't been on again since first post. This may not be a case of a diabetic asking, who knows ?

The points you raised are good ones and thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wack blood sugar level [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I am Type 2 Diadetes. My Fasting blood Sugar is 6.5 to 8.00 on North American scale. However The problem is If consume anything Sweet like Cake or Chocalate in Night. My Fasting is Normal ( Under 6.5). But if I rigrously follow my meal plan it shoots up to 9 or 10 My docter says...

Blood sugar levels [ 3 Answers ]

What are your blood sugar levels supposed to be during pregancy

Blood sugar [ 4 Answers ]

Does your blood sugar lever change during pregnancy? The reason I ask is because before becoming pregnant I was addicted to sweets. Now that I am pregnant sweets don't appeal to me like they use to. However, the other night we went to a friend's house to watch a football game. While I was there I...

Blood sugar [ 1 Answers ]

What is the ideal blood sugar level

Blood sugar [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, My mom says she had really high blood sugar. She is way beyond normal. She has been dieting n trying to loss weight since she is fat n she thinks it will help her. Please can u give me some reasons for why her sugar keeps going high. She is a nurse and she herself doesn't know the...

View more questions Search