Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ldimitrov Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Relationship between Mass and Speed
    What is the connection or relationship between mass of a ball and the speed it travels down a ramp?
    Ratna Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ldimitrov
    What is the connection or relationship between mass of a ball and the speed it travels down a ramp?
    The Kinetic engery of the ball is... Kinetic Energy=1/2m(v^2)
    youthebest Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Potential Energy (mgh) = Kinetic Energy (1/2m v^2)
    m= mass
    g= gravity
    h= delta height
    v = velocity

If you are asking to see which one would roll down on a ramp faster(lighter object/heavier), I'd say "they both come down at the same speed". The mass m on each side of the equation cancels each other so it's not going to be a matter of how heavy something is. It's exactly same for sky diving.

Few things that will affect the speed are the following:
    - moment of inertia (if rolling) - hollow vs. solid
    - shape (aerodynamics) - sharp spear vs free falling human
    - friction (outer surface) - might result in translational movement instead of rolling(rotational), this also affect aerodynamics
    supriya _82 Posts: 241, Reputation: 24

Feb 12, 2008, 05:05 AM
    I believe you asked about the speed not the energy. Youthebest seems to have given a balanced answer.
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Feb 13, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Here's my 2 cents.

If it's going down a ramp, that means there is a component of gravity acting upon it.

The only equation you should remember at this point is F = MA
    Force = Mass x Acceleration

Resolves the forces acting upon the object, this will require you to use Cos and Tan since the ramp is inclined by a certain degree, therefore it's weight (which contributes to its downward movement) acts in 2 different directions.

Once you have the resultant force (product of F), then you can easily find the acceleration at which it goes down the ramp.

If you know the start time, distance, you can find the initial speed.

Despite all this, Momentum of an object is P = MV

Momentum = Mass x Velocity.

As you can see Mass/Velocity can be high respectively, and still give a high value for momentum. Faster objects have high momentum. Heavier objects also have high momentum.

Otherwise just go with potential energy equations. Once you have that, use your value for the energy to find the change in Kinetic energy.
    youthebest Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 13, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Try it for yourself. Wooden dowel vs. Steel dowel on a ramp. (same shape)
    You will clearly see the result.
    MASS doesn't change the speed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relationship between Mass and Speed. [ 8 Answers ]

What is the formula for how much mass increase there is based on how fast an item is moving? Example: If an object of "X"lbs mass at rest is moving at "Y"mph, what is it's mass at that speed? Thanks! Edit 10/10/05: See http://www.jackson8.com/science/relativisticmass.html

Speed of light and mass [ 3 Answers ]

What Is The Algebraic Formula For The Relationship Between Mas And The Speed Of Light.

Angular speed of the mass [ 1 Answers ]

The ball with mass m connected by means of two massless strings to a vertical rotating rod. The strings are tied to the rod and are taut. The tension in the upper string is T1. (Each angle of an and equilateral triangle is 60 degrees.) What is the angular speed of the mass?

High-speed Cable/low Speed Operation [ 1 Answers ]

I had Time Warner Cable(TWC) Road Runner service(high-speed cable) installed recently on my Panasonic CF-47 Laptop. It turns out that it operates two times SLOWER than Dial-Up!! I have a W98 O/S. The High-speed cable into the computer measures normal(as measured by a super-tech with TWC). After he...

View more questions Search