Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angie0298 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 06:43 PM
    Taxes rejected because dependents already claimed
    My tax return was rejected due to my dependents already being claimed, my ex-boyfriend has claimed them. This is 2 years in a row that he has has put them down on his tax return. He is not the custodial parent and he only sees them when it is convenient for him. No child support of any nature. What can I do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Report him to the IRS for fraud
    pasiria Posts: 161, Reputation: 29

Feb 9, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Wow, your ex has not manners. He should be reported immediately. Also, report him for not paying child support. Get an attorney.
    strong1512 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angie0298
    My tax return was rejected due to my dependents already being claimed, my ex-boyfriend has claimed them. This is 2 years in a row that he has has put them down on his tax return. He is not the custodial parent and he only sees them when it is convenient for him. No child support of any nature. What can I do?
    The same thing happened to a friend of mines. She had to file a paper return and then prove she has the right to claim her kids (that live with her and has not seen their father in over 3 years or received monies for for them) It is a long process but you will win in the end. Also you can file a amened return for up to the last three years if this problem was going on then.
    angie0298 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Thanks guys, I think I am just more frustrated than anything..
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 11:34 AM
    According to Pub 501, since you and your ex are both parents and not living together, if both claim the child as a dependent then the one who "wins" is the one with whom the child lived longer during the tax year. That sounds like you. You should contact the IRS and insist that you are the rightful one to claim the deduction.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone claimed my child on taxes [ 21 Answers ]

I e filed my taxes and to my surprise someone I don't even know who it is claimed one of my children what steps do I take to find out who it is and what do I do about it:mad:

IRS rejected my taxes because someone claimed my son [ 4 Answers ]

I e-filed my taxes this year only to find out that it was rejected by the IRS because someone has claimed my son... how can I find out who and can I prosecute?

I have been wrongly claimed on someone's taxes [ 7 Answers ]

I e-filed my taxes and they were rejected by the IRS claiming that someone else claimed my SSN on another return as a dependent. I am 28 and I know there is no way someone can claim me. What should I do?! Thanks for any helpful advice:)

Can visiting parents be claimed as dependents [ 9 Answers ]

Can parents on visitor visa lived in usa for 170 days in yr 2006 be claimed as dependent for yr 2006 If yes now can I sumit their form w-7 application for itin along with my form 1040 in April 2007 if they are back to india currently?

Filing taxes with 2 dependents [ 1 Answers ]

I came to usa onmay 21st,if I file tax from June 2006 to dec2006 total-7months@32200/-(4600 permonth gross). According to virginia tax I pay 33% ie) nearly1500 permonth nearly 10,000 for 7months,so if I file in march 2007,I am having dependents(wife on h4 not working&son 5months age) coming in...

View more questions Search