Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ohana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Serving a live-in boyfriend 30 day notice
    I am new to this forum, so if this has been answered before, I apologize. Also I want to say Thank You for having such a forum, it's fantastic!
    I read some answers about "Evicting a boyfriend" and got one of my questions answered.
    I know now that even though my boyfriend has lived with me for 4 years now and has NEVER paid for rent or anything, because he gets some of his mail here, I need to give him a thirty day notice.
    My question now is, can I just find ANY 30 day notice form online and serve it to him myself, would that be legally binding? OR do I need to have someone else serve it and does it need to be notorized?

Thank you in advance for any help,
    Ohana
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Notice and/or constructive notice varies from state to state. I would send the notice of eviction by certified mail, return receipt requested. He may never pick it up or refuse it, which will be OK.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Notice and/or constructive notice varies from state to state. I would send the notice of eviction by certified mail, return receipt requested. He may never pick it up or refuse it, which will be OK.

I don't think I'd waste the time and energy doing this - I'd see what the requirements are in your State and follow them.

There's always the possibility that insufficient notice will still cause him to move but if it doesn't you've lost time.

Just my opinion -
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2008, 11:08 AM
    In addition, it may not be a notice of eviction that is needed, but a notice of termination of tenancy.
    Ohana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Thank you both for your input! 1 It is much appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 Day Notice [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in a month to month agreement with my landlord and I gave a 30 day notice 0n 10-09-07 but I have changed my mind, am I obligated to leave the premises or is there a law or something that can help to stay in the apartment?

30 day notice [ 3 Answers ]

I gave my landlord 30 day notice and now I need to remain in my current apartment for at least 15 more days. They said they have already rented my apartment and can only push back my leaving date by one day. This seems like it should not be allowed. My moving plans fell through and essentially now...

30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

We had a lease that expired on June 30 of 2006. We then went to month to month agreement. So now we want to move and gave a 30 day notice on the 12th of jan. 07 and our landlord is saying we have to give the 30 days at the beginning of the month. Is she wrong or right. We live in Wisconsin. We told...

30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 30 day notice, with no reason why. 3 days after I received my 30 day notice, I sent my rent to the management company and cashed the check. Does that make the 30 day notice void. Bob

Help with 30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend renting a room from me at my home. He decided he's going to move out yesterday 8/20/06 and didn't give me a 30 day notice. I come home and his belongings are packed up. Isn't he obligated to give a 30 ay notice and pay a prorated amount if the notice goes into the next month? Or...

View more questions Search