Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Adding RAM?
    I have a Compaq C502US Laptop with Windows Vista Home.

It came with 512 of ram.

How difficult is it to add another 512 of ram?

I've never even seen the inside of this laptop so if this is a fairly easy task, please provide as much detail as possible.

If this is too difficult for a beginner, what would a good price range be to have it done?

Thank You!
    jonarizona Posts: 4, Reputation: 2
    -

Feb 7, 2008, 02:52 PM
    I would recommend 1gig of ram instead of another 512 mb if you want smoother gameplay if that's what you use it for but if its just for general computing the I would go for the 512mb ram if price is also issue then stick to 512mb ram if not then I recomment just getting 1 gb ram the youl have 1 1/2 ram I have a gaming computer and I have 4gig ram so that's overkill so what I'm saying I would go for the 1 gig ram
    littlebear91 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Feb 7, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Check your laptop empty slot for memory, if have then buy 512Mb as it is cheaper but 1G if u want faster. U can't have more than 3 Gb of ram as u're not using ultimate version of Vista nor business.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 7, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Bear in mind that a 32 bit OS such as XP or Vista CANNOT access anymore than 4 gig TOTAL RAM.
    There can also be BIOS issues as well.
    Total RAM includes all installed RAM and Graphics card memory as well.

So if, like me, you have a 512Mb Graphics card and add 4Gb RAM the system will only be able to access/use 3.25 Gb of the installed RAM.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ram [ 2 Answers ]

What is ddr ram?

Difference between PC100 RAM and PC2100 RAM [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering what would happen if I put 512MB of DIMM PC2100 RAM in a Compaq laptop that calls for MB of DIMM PC100 RAM? I have the PC2100 RAM already and was wondering if it would be a big problem if the PC speed numbers didn't match up? Would the computer not run at all? It is real slow...

Help regarding my SD RAM! [ 11 Answers ]

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN, Well guys! A little problem with my PC.. Well, I just bought a 512 SDRAM and after connecting it to my MOTHERBOARD it detected as 256 MB.. :eek: Sick man! :( Some problem with the motherboard or compatibility.. WIll it resolve out if I update the BIOS? Kindly...

Ram [ 4 Answers ]

I have an ibm aptiva 486dx2 which I am upgrading. I have added a faster cd drive and a 3 gig hard drive. I now want to put a win 98 operating system on to it, and get the message that I need at least 16 mb ram it presently has 8mb. I have bought 2 x 16 mb of edo ram chips but when I put them in I...

View more questions Search