Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fmm06418 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 06:00 AM
    Proper attic venting
    I had a contractor raise the ceiling in a upstairs bedroom. It exposed the vent for the attic. The contractor wants to put sheetrock over the vent and allow about 7" clearance for ventilation. I'm concerned that the sheetrock is to close to the vent and moisture will cause mold. There is room to frame the ceiling below the vent but still have a raise ceiling. How should this be done? Thanks
    jmooooo Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Having worked in home remodeling. As long as air passes between the insulation and whatever surface, you will be fine. It is important to have air coming in from the eaves (gutter area) equal to the amount of space on the roof top. The best insulation is to use unfaced with a 6 mil vapor barrier. Anywhere the insulation is tight, almost touching the surface above, you can use attic baffles, or vents. They allow you to keep as little as a 2" space between the insulation and outside surface.
    If you can, watch Holmes on Homes on DIY, tape every show, as he does it the right way.
    You should try and tape every seam where you overlap plastic. You should be fine as long as air flows between the insulation and the drywall.
    fmm06418 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Jm00000, thanks for the info. I talked to a contractor and he said the same thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Pipe Venting in Attic [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling exhaust fan in the main bathroom. The new fan is taller then the old one. Directly above the fan is the sewer pipe venting from the master bathroom. That sewer pipe runs straight across to the main venting pipe and out the roof. I can not get the fan to fit with the...

Proper venting [ 1 Answers ]

Can a new bathroom, toilet, sink, and shower be vented through an existing 1 1/2" vent? The bathroom will be in the basement, and the vent is part of kitchen on the first floor. Would a 2 1/2" better, or can I use what I have if I tie into the vent above the kitchen sink ? Thank you... Rick

New Installation in Attic- Venting and Order [ 1 Answers ]

I'm putting in a new bathroom in the attic... I have extended an main drain from the basement to about 3 feet from the attic floor. Ceiling is ripped out on floor below. What is the protocol for order of fixtures going into the main drain and where the vents should be. Or what vents are required....

Attic venting of bathroom exhaust fan [ 4 Answers ]

Our bathroom has a ceiling light fixture whice I would like to replace with an exhaust fan. I understand the need to vent this out of the attic and to have the duct well insulated to avoid condensation. The problem is access to the outside. We have a roof with four sloping sides, no vertical ends....

Proper venting [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, My son and I are doing the new DWV system for our house. I have a lot of experience in doing plumbing so I'm not a novice, but I do need to make sure I am doing the venting properly (I know the vent is just as important as the drain lines) as I haven't done anything quite this...

View more questions Search