Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Feb 7, 2008, 04:01 AM
    Interesting Encounter
    some mormans came to my door the other day, and being polite as I am had huge trouble in snobbing them, they talked about this guy and how he was supposedly given the right to be a prophet or whatever and they were saying, it's the same faith being followed, there's no change between the values of chistianity and morman... ism. Just the bible and the book of morman, and the book of morman is excerpts from the bible...

why do they say they believe the "same faith" but call it something different?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 04:43 AM
    I'd be surprised to hear a Mormon using the term "same faith". Did one of them actually say that? And if so, what was he saying Mormonism is the same as?
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Feb 7, 2008, 04:49 AM
    I'm pretty sure he said it's the same faith as christianity but jesus failed and god sent someone else in like the 1800's it was crazy what he was on about but I'm pretty sure that was it
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 04:59 AM
    I can only guess that the one at your door was new to proselytizing - or that you misunderstood. Typically they will be quite clear about the differences - and from what I know most Mormons would never use that phrase in speaking of their faith and mainstream Christianity.

Of those who call themselves Christian, Mormons make up about one half of one percent.

The other 99.5% have very opposing beliefs on many issues.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 10:46 AM
    The Book of Mormon picks up where the Bible leaves off... you know... where it says in Revelation 22:18, "If anyone adds to them, GOD will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this Book of prophecy, GOD will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city."
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 10:49 AM
    While not siding with the Mormons, I must say:

By "Them", the author was speaking of the words in his own writing (Revelation), not of Scripture in general.

... and even if he were speaking of "scripture" - we have to realize that nothing in what we call the New Testament was considered scripture at the time.

... so in reality, everything in the New Testament was "added to Scripture" ;)
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Mormonism is very different from mainstream Christianity concerning its beliefs although it is based on Christianity.
    Donna Mae Posts: 55, Reputation: 14

Feb 7, 2008, 05:41 PM
    The Mormon "prophets" are definitely adding to God's word.

"I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. (Rev.22:18-19)

Not just in Revelation...
    Deuteronomy 4:2--Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you.

Jesus could never fail and it is only through Him that we can be saved.

Revelation was written down by John. He wrote what Jesus had revealed to him.

"The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who testifies to everything he saw--that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ. Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near." (Rev. 1:1-3)

Now there are no prophets. God does not speak personally to anyone anymore.

"For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears." (1 Corinthians 13:9-10)

Perfection came with the completion of God's Holy Word.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Yes Mormons are a denomination within the Christian faith, they do have some customs and beleifs that are not common within other groups,

And while I have my personal beliefs, there are many groups who claim they have people who are prophets, and hear from God, Billy Graham for example. And one has to compare perhaps the books he often writes, if that is also considered adding to the bible if we use that respect.

But in the Book of Mormon the book contains teachings that have many of the same faiths and teachings in the bible, but bring Jesus coming to America to the native indians esp in the South America area.

We have to understand with all respect to Donna, that the bible was never one book, it was a group of separate writtings and the early church held meetings and investigated writings to determine which ones were considered valid, and which ones were the most accepted to be included into the bible. There were many other great writings that was not as well used that were not included and several writings there were considered false and not used either.
    We can tell a prophet by comparing what they saw by the word of God.But being a prophet is a gift from God and would not have eneded, we merely have to read the bible to know they still exist.

1 Corinthians 12:28
    28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.

Feb 7, 2008, 08:46 PM
    I have to go back to the scripture I quoted before: "For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears."

When the New Testament was complete, it was perfect. 1 Corinthians was before the completion. We also don't have workers of miracles and gifts of healing. We have no one who could come forward and truly perform a miracle today, such as raising someone from the dead or immediate healing. God has given us doctors to do our healing today, but I have yet to see a so called prophet of today do anything like the prophets of the New Testament.

I believe that God is in control of our Bible, and if He would have wanted us to read and study the other books you speak of He would have seen to it that they were included in our Bible today. After all He has all the power to make sure His word is exactly as He wants it. So I won't worry about any other books, the Bible is all I need.
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

Feb 13, 2008, 08:13 AM
    We don't have miracles and gifts of healing today? Maybe you should read another post recently on this topic. There are many good books in which we can learn to be more Christ like. Do you not read any other books on spiritual encounters of others and not feel your testimony grow? Even great poetry makes me see the power of God and his great creations. God also gave some the talent of writing good books to build and sustain us. Could your scripture in Deuteronomy possible mean that we are not to change the commandments of God to meet our wants? Like we could interpret that keeping the Sabbath doesn't really mean we should rest from daily labors, or that not coveting another's spouse doesn't mean I can't cheat on my spouse because there is an acception for me. I do believe in Prophets today. I feel that God loves all of his children not just the ones in the Old and New Testament times and thus wants us to receive revelation to help us today. But of course I am one of those "nonchristian" Mormons.

Feb 17, 2008, 09:51 PM
    I don't believe I was calling anyone names, but if I did I certainly apologize.

Of course I read other books. But when it comes to knowing God's words, there is only one book I use, the Holy Bible.

I'm not trying to tell you that you can't believe in prophets today. That's your right.
    But I am saying what God says about prophets today. And I have to go back to Revelation 22:18-19 and 1Corinthians 13:9-10. Perfection has come and prophets and miracles have been done away with. I have to repeat this for anyone who is truly looking to come to God. Living by the sayings of men will not get anyone to heaven, but hearing and doing the word of God and God alone can. It's up to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

More interesting than God [ 36 Answers ]

Every time I get involved in the debates that erupt here between the atheists and the theists, I end up feeling bemused by the fact that so much attention is focused on the question of whether "God" exists. It's been done to death. I'm more interested in the question of whether there exists a...

Interesting observations from others. [ 43 Answers ]

My wife went to this program for new mothers. They have a nurse, dentist, teacher and other programs that they talk about different things. Well the nurse tried to tell my wife it is too early for our boy to say mama. He has being saying mama for the last couple of weeks now. He is a little...

Interesting ex situation [ 1 Answers ]

3 years ago I broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years, she said she wasn't happy and I was reluction to let her go. A week later I met someone else, we started dating and grew from there. 3 months passed and me and ex started talking again. She didn't date anyone one after 3 years of off and on with...

New Here, Have Some Interesting Question? [ 3 Answers ]

Well, hey guyz. I am 18 years old male, live in New Jersey and have some question for you guys. Well, guyz I am half south asian and half european. My original skin complexion is somewhat fair to light. Until last summer, my complexion was great until I hit ACNE!! Since, obviously I wanted to get...

View more questions Search