Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrbo Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2008, 03:24 AM
    Girlfriend wants to break up, but still loves me?
    Hiya,

Was just wondering if you could offer any advice on my situation ?

Im 28 and my girlfriend (now ex) is 26. We've been together for just over 6 months now. I live about 70 miles away and only get to see her on the weekends. She is at school as a full time student and a photographer on the side.

Most of the time our weekends are great... time just flies by. I think were really compatible and we really have a lot of fun together. Were interested in the same things (music, travelling, partying, adventures). Ive met her parents, went to her Grandmas for christmas and spent that there with her. Her family likes me and I don't really see any issues there.

About 2 months ago she said she wanted some "space" as she was stressed out a lot with 3 deadlines at work (freelance photographer) as well as her college and art projects. She said a week... which I did, but it was hard. Things then went back to "normal" and we saw each other regularly. Our sex life was great until last weekend where she just simply said "no".

Yesterday over the phone we were speaking and I noticed something wrong just in her mood and tone. I asked her about it and eventually got her to confess that she thinks were not right for each other. I asked her why... and she just said that she doesn't love me as much as a few weeks ago... and says she feels like were in a old couples marriage relationship already! Ouch!

On one hand she says that, but in the same sentence she is saying that I've done nothing wrong, I'm a great boyfriend, and she still loves me and wants me in her life as a friend. I would bet that she's not seeing anyone else as she just doenst have the capacity for it, and I really really don't think she's that type of person.

She said that she loves me "so much" that she needs to let me go, as she feels that she can't give me what I'm looking for. She said that its easier to let me down now than in another 6 months. I just don't understand how she can think she loves me, but wants to get rid of me.

She also said sorry for knowlingly being so self centered, but she's been hurt brfore so I think this is a defense mechanism... but she said that she really needs to focus on herself.

I must admit that we've seen each other almost every weekend since we've met... I just don't know what to do, feel, say anymore... I got out of a messy divorce about a year and a half ago, where that completely ruined my life... and I vowed that I would never let myself get that low and depressed again, but I'm really feeling somewhat of the same right now.

My close friends just tell me to "play the game"... or "wait it out" and show her that you have a life too and don't NEED her... but I'm afraid if I don't contact her ill loose her forever.

Its been about 4 days now... ive sent her an email saying that id love to speak to her and to just give me a shout when she's ready.

Any advice would be great :)

Thanks in advance

Mr B
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 11:59 AM
    It truly sounds like she was being honest with you and that you are being honest in return. Maybe your relationship had gotten a little stale. Maybe she really does need to take some time for her and focus on her schooling and photography. Maybe she just wants to be woo-ed by you again, pursued, caught.

From this post, it seems that you two may just need a break. I think you did the right thing by emailing her and telling her to "give you a shout" when she's ready. That was a very good thing to do.

Maybe you need to re-establish with her the reasons you had such a comfortable relationship. Be her friend. Don't be clingy, just be there. I don't think you need to do the whole no contact thing, because that wasn't what either of you wanted when you said you'd take a break.

Don't "play the game." Don't try and make her jealous. Simply be the friend that you are - that's why your relationship was all that it was... you two "fit." It truly seems like there is a deep love between the two of you - and that its mutual.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing other answers on this question because there are so many other ways to look at this situation.

Feb 10, 2008, 02:02 AM
    Wow... thank you very much for the advice! Your answer seems to be the best one yet for my situation... I really think your right.

We spoke yesterday and she definitely wants to remain friends... and I could tell she was sad and it was hard for her to speak to me about this stuff again, but she said deep down it made her happier, more relaxed as she had so much work and school to get on with...

At the end of the day, I guess all I can be is happy that it ended like this instead of in a messy way.

I guess only time will tell... lets see what's around the next corner! I may have found a new girlfriend and its associated issues :) Who knows ?

Feb 10, 2008, 02:03 AM
    Here's another thread on the same topic with more replies HistorianChick:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...me-181306.html

Feb 10, 2008, 02:12 AM
    And u know what... she was always telling me that we "fit" so well... mentally, phisically, spiritually... funny you say it like this HistorianChick...

Today is my birthday, time to party and enjoy life :)
    roogirl Posts: 69, Reputation: 18

Feb 10, 2008, 02:22 AM
    G'day. When your friend told you to "wait it out" and show her that you have a life too and don't NEED her... pay attention, that's good solid advice. If you keep contacting her I can guarantee that you will push her away even further. She is the dumper, so the onus must be on her to make contact with you. If you contact her it will only make you look desperate.

The email you sent to her email saying that you'd love to speak to her when she's ready is also excellent. The ball is in her court now, and if you stay silent, you are sending her a clear message that you're not going to waste your time chasing after someone who just broke your heart.

If she doesn't have a change of heart, at least you now have the best opportunity to heal from the loss and eventually move on (with your dignity intact as well!). After a period, you won't even care whether you lose her forever or not.

You've handled this really well, congrats!

Feb 10, 2008, 02:24 AM

I deff agree with:

"If she doesn't have a change of heart, at least you now have the best opportunity to heal from the loss and eventually move on. After a period of time, you won't even care whether you lose her forever or not."

Thank you for the advice :)
    roogirl Posts: 69, Reputation: 18

Feb 10, 2008, 02:26 AM
    No worries mate, I know exactly how you feel, I was dumped in the recent past as well.

Feb 10, 2008, 02:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by roogirl
    No worries mate, I know exactly how you feel, I was dumped in the recent past as well.
    Sorry to hear :(

Hope your finding it OK to deal with as it can be hard... dont we know... lol!

Greets to the other side of the pond :)

E

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend Loves Me, But Doesn't Like Me [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, my name is Kyle and I'm 16 years old, and lately I've been having quite a bit of girlfriend trouble (She's almost 16). My girlfriend and I used to get along great, and we spent quite a decent amount of time together, but I noticed that she didn't really seem to want or liked to spend time...

Girlfriend tells me she loves me, yet she wants a break or breakup? [ 13 Answers ]

Hey guys, My girlfriend is telling me she wants a break to see if she if I am the one. We're young, I don't plan on marriage for a while (we're 20) and I just don't understand her idea of couples needing to split up for a while to see if they are the one. She says this is for "us" but I'm...

My girlfriend loves me, but likes someone else [ 27 Answers ]

My girlfriend tells me that she loves me and I believe her, we have been together for about 3 months and things have been going great, recently, however, we have been fighting about some things and we have realized that I can be too clingy and controlling at times and I recognize that and am trying...

I think my girlfriend loves someone else and not me [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so yeah I'm 15 years old and I've been dating my girlfriend for about 2months And I wanted to know if she still loves me things between me and her were getting a little odd like when we started dating we don't do the same things we use to do, and I think for some reason she still loves her ex...

My girlfriend needs space but she loves me she says [ 6 Answers ]

I've been in this relationship with my girlfriend for 5 months now. Everything has been amazing between us we have spent almost every day together doing something even if it was just watching a movie or talking for 5 minutes. Recently she has had some problems with another girl wanting to fight...

View more questions Search